Lighting advice

lloydie11

Ok, so I'm confusing myself between nm and Kelvin, which I dont think are related.

I need something around the 10k mark for my corals, and have a shaker 168l tank.

I've been looking to upgrade lighting to Orphek, but I'm rather confused how to calculate exactly what it is I need and how many.

Anyone advise me, or even refer me to somewhere to get a better idea and deeper dove into calculating and understanding reef lighting requirements.

The Kelvin doesn't seem to be listed in many places at all, so is it as simple as if it does blue, that's the start at 7500k, and a deep blue closer to 10k....

I know, stoooopid, but my googling hasn't helped to much so far, so I thought I'd ask the pros.

Thanks

Kelvin is a reference to color temperature. nm stands for nanometer and refers to a specific wavelength of light. Generally Kelvin is used more for lighting that produces a wide range of colors for the overall impression it gives. An example would be metal halide bulbs that are called 10k, 14k and 20k. The higher the number the more blue the bulb seems to the eye.
T-5 actinic bulbs are listed as nm and produce a very narrow range or color that is known to stimulate coral photosynthesis. These bulbs are very blue or dim purple. Humans don't see these colors well so the bulbs may seem dim when they actually aren't.
0*Y7VGHfO65kL7HYay.

In addition to the above, 10k on our tanks is going to look white/light yellow. I believe the closest you’ll get from Orphek is the Reef Day Plus.

To get closer to 10K, maybe look at QuantaPro Tropic Sun - Products | Quanta Lights

To my knowledge, you get slightly better spread and par from the QuantaPro too

Ok, so I'm confusing myself between nm and Kelvin, which I dont think are related.

I need something around the 10k mark for my corals, and have a shaker 168l tank.

I've been looking to upgrade lighting to Orphek, but I'm rather confused how to calculate exactly what it is I need and how many.

Anyone advise me, or even refer me to somewhere to get a better idea and deeper dove into calculating and understanding reef lighting requirements.

The Kelvin doesn't seem to be listed in many places at all, so is it as simple as if it does blue, that's the start at 7500k, and a deep blue closer to 10k....

I know, stoooopid, but my googling hasn't helped to much so far, so I thought I'd ask the pros.

Thanks
Why do you think you " need" 10000 Kelvin lighting?
It's not wrong per se.

Some led lights have a Kelvin slider and if you go t5 there is one 10000 K bulb or like
this combo, close enough:
Screenshot_20230110-212936.png

As to LEDs there is a ton of ways to mix nm to average to 10000K.
Like 5 8000k white and 1 470 nm blue.
Or 2 470, 2 520 green, 1 630 red

Last edited:
OK, perhaps i should re-phrase my question.

I'm looking to ensure my reef lighting is adequate, which i am doubting. I have the Fluval’s Aquasky, and i can't see too much anywhere in the way of technical specifications for that lighting unit.

The depth is around 55cm, and I'm trying to calculate based on 168L, (L76 x D43 x H139 cm) what lighting would be adequate for 3 coral and 1 nem.

My budget is rather small to upgrade this system, and therefore if it's a case of just adding an additional T5 (recommendations on bulbs would be handy), then i can do that.

I don't want to spend a bunch of cash at this time of year on an all singing and dancing setup, just something perhaps to get me through the year to ensure they have what they need, in conjunction with the existing lighting system.

Thanks,

Dimensions: 30″ L x 17″ W x 22" Deep
44 gallons.
Fluval Aquasky for 30" 18 watts approx.

Something like the soon to be available 30" AI Blade would work to boost your light a bit.
Still around, in old school terms 1Watt/gallon.
Closer to "2 effective watts per gallon" using led's.
Approx $240.

First I need to state that I'm a freshwater guy with just a curiosity regarding corals but my "studies"
generally point to the simple fact that k temp lighting from 6500k to "just blue" work for corals and the more important light factor is intensity to match the species.
Water parameters are the most important factor.

So that said I'll give you a cheap option. If you like the 10000K look or shallow daylight reef look there is one freshwater light that specs around 14000K.
Beamswork DA FSPEC LED
5 row 40 watt light.

A whole $40....

Just consider it food for thought.

Cheap-ish alternates that are "reef marketed" are like

Approx 60W at the diodes most likely..but 2x the cost.
Choice of 3 flavors..

The only other thing to consider is par. Many of the smaller LED strip lights don’t emit much par. Depending on your budget, I’d go with either 2 SmatFarm 95 watt LED or I think @griss recommends a NiCrew. The other option is Viparspectra, though with one, you may end up with shadowing in the corners

The only other thing to consider is par. Many of the smaller LED strip lights don’t emit much par. Depending on your budget, I’d go with either 2 SmatFarm 95 watt LED or I think @griss recommends a NiCrew. The other option is Viparspectra, though with one, you may end up with shadowing in the corners

Agreed, you aren't going to get 200 par at 24" to the sand bed with a single strip light.
Point was to add to his current weak light though.

BEAMSWORK DA FSPEC LED 60 PAR DATA

Can probably push 75 PAR at the sand bed with the 2 lights..
Add another Beamswork ($80 total) 125-ish.

2 50W Nicrews ($210) is probably a better choice.

Depends on what they want to raise, what "color' they like and what extras they want and how much they want to spend..

The small leds aren't really the issue, more the lensing.

Back