lighting cycles

hglumac

Hello.

just wondering if it would be ok to run my lights from
about 6am - 10am
then off from 10am-4pm
then back on from 4pm-9pm.

My wife and I are mostly gone during the day when I wake up around 6:30-7 the corals are still closed up, in the evening we don't see the tank much either. I currently have the cycle 7am-7pm I was thinking about just starting the lights later in the day but I like to see if everyone is ok before I go to work. Anyone tried this? I am just talking about 130w of pc here, nothing major. Thanks in advance:bum:

I have my lights come on at 11:00 am and off at 9:00 pm. I do check the tank in the morning. the light in the room is usually enough and if not I use a flashlight.

I think straying from a 24 hour day would be a bad idea... all the animals in your tank have evolved through history with a 24 hour day and changing it would probably thow them for a loop. This is just speculation though.. ive never actually tried it.

Actually one thing you got me thinking about... Ive heard of people growing plants under a 18 hour day (12 hours light, 6 hours dark) so that they would mature faster. In theory every 6 real days the plants would actually have received 7 light cycles if my math is correct.

I run mine from 1pm-11pm b/c I am not here during the day, and I'd rather see the tank lit at night while I'm home.

I don't know about running lights for a few hours in the morning though...doubt it would hurt anything.... :)

Wow, thank you all for the info, DiViNeLeFT I was worried about what you said in the first post about messing up their cycle. I think I will just start the lights later in the day and be able to enjot the tank in the morning...or I could just quit my job and watch the tank all day :)

Back