lighting for 120gal.

crazywesc

I have a 120 gal tank that I will be setting up for a reef tank. The tank is 60'' long and 26'' deep. I found the outer orbit T5 and MH combo lights. I can get it with 2 150 watt MH or 2 250 watt MH bulbs. I'm not sure witch ones to get. Here is the link to the lights, just scoll down to the 60'' ones.http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/metal_OuterOrbit3.htm
I want to make sure I get the right lights the first time.
Thanks

seems like a decent set up, i like the fact it has t5's and halides(good combo). i have never tried the outerorbit brand, nor have i heard anything about them, but honestly it looks like it could be a little cheap. through my experience in this hobby i have noticed that it is "you pay what you get " im not going to say that isnt a good setup, because i have no experience with that brand, but alot of other brands that have a similar setup are a lot more expensive. if you want to keep sps corals, or clams i would recommend getting the 250 watt version. maybe someone with an outerorbit unit will chime in and let you know what they think of it.

They arent bad fixtures at all IMO. I had a 48" version. They look nice, they are solid and if you open one up you will see a neat wiring job with components neatly laid out and component quality pretty good. The biggest complaint from some people is that the fans are noisy. Mine were very quiet so I think its hit or miss on the fans. The biggest problem I see is this ... the outer orbits, like alot of combo fixtures, have smallish reflectors for the halides. They arent any bigger on the 60" version vs. the 48" version and I dont think that coverage is going to extend to 30" for one of the halide reflectors. The 4 T5's will make up for some of that at the extremes but what I'm saying is that there is a compromise. A combo fixture like the Maristar is a step up, it uses bigger, better reflectors for the halides and the T5's as well, but only 2 T5's. Also, with the Current USA the T5's are paired, 2 in front and two behind the Halides. But each 2 bulbs shares a reflectors rather than each having their own reflector. I still believe that the 4 bulbs gives you more light from the T5's than using only 2 bulbs. I dont think there is another combo fixture for less money that is better. Maristar doesnt come in a 60" version (I dont think) and they cost a good bit more. I'd take a current USA over a Coralife in a heartbeat. And the Odyessas dont touch the Current USA's from an electronics standpoint without replacing the ballasts. And then, you get PC's instead of T5's.
I'm not sure there is much more out there in a combo fixture near the price of the Current USA Outer Orbit. Maybe an Aquamedic if they make a 60". The high end combo fixtures are well into the thousand dollar mark and beyond.

For a 120 I would definitely go with the 250 watt version. It has the external, magnetic HQI ballasts. All in all, I think it is a decent fixture and to do better in combo fixture would cost you more jack. But I also think you can do better if you can DIY, and for a bit less money. Honestly though, if I did not decide to, or want to DIY a combo light rack, I would still be using my Outer Orbit. It is definitely capable of doing the job and I was very happy with mine while I used it eventhough it was bought as a stop-gap until I got around to building my own.

Sorry for the book.

Thanks for the replies. I had a hard time finding combo lights in 60'' so after searching these are the best ones I can find. I think I will go with the 250w. Thanks guys

crazy,

You will be VERY happy with the 2 - 250's! I have almost the exact same tank and I run 250 SE 10k's. My tank is super white and that is exactly what i wanted. I keep a few SPS frags at the top with LPS and softies place lower in the tank and it is doing very well.

Good luck!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10489008#post10489008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
the 250s and that is a sweet fixture

Wow GSMguy, I'm shocked ... :D

Back