lighting for a grass bed

I took a look at the site, but have no idea what the differences are and what I will need. Do you mind clueing me in a little more?

if you wanna go with leds there leds come in a t8 t5 style bulb or you can do a fixture they tell you how manny watts each bulb is. so if you got a t8 20 watt bulb its like getting a 45watt t5ho. they come with there own ballest(each bulb is indivdual) and they can go in any t5 or t8 end socket.. or the fixture just plugs in.. i use them and they are great.. i only use the blue for my tank and there white(which is between 8800-11000k) for my fuge now.. i cant find it in myself to loose the mh yet.. im trying to post a pic but this site is a pain to do so it.. keeps telling me the pic is to big nomatter how small i resize it to ..

what size is your tank? dementions?

here they are

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
if you're gonna to seagrasses, you DO NOT need any actinics. seagrasses grow in sunlight, so you'd need a 6500k bulb. no need for actinics.

I have had a seagrass bed with Hippocampus erectus. I can tell you this: Leds will not make it, as seagrasses usually grow up to the surface , usually in only four to five feet of water and need intense sunlight. They will begin to decompose quickly. I used a Oddessy 150 watt metal halide (100 bucks from aquatraders) with better luck. I now use the fixture to grow sps in my Fuge. Leds would be a waste on seagrass, not intense enough.

if you wanna go with leds there leds come in a t8 t5 style bulb or you can do a fixture they tell you how manny watts each bulb is. so if you got a t8 20 watt bulb its like getting a 45watt t5ho. they come with there own ballest(each bulb is indivdual) and they can go in any t5 or t8 end socket.. or the fixture just plugs in.. i use them and they are great.. i only use the blue for my tank and there white(which is between 8800-11000k) for my fuge now.. i cant find it in myself to loose the mh yet.. im trying to post a pic but this site is a pain to do so it.. keeps telling me the pic is to big nomatter how small i resize it to ..

what size is your tank? dementions?

If I buy the leds, I also need to buy the endcaps, correct? Does the price of the bulb include the ballast? How many will I need to equal a 150w or 250w bulb?

65g tall, 24" deep with a varying debth sand bed to accomodate turtle grass and shoal grass.

Romanr- that fixture looks right up my budget. Does everyone think a 150w will work on this tank or do I need more light? I'm aware that the grass needs lower kelvin, but I'm sure others reading this will find it useful to know. However, those actinics look like a great idea for my 125g reef tank. No divier in the tank, but I do have a conopy I want to put on it. How much do you think a 150w mh will heat up this size tank?

I apppreciate the help, please keep it coming.

I have had a seagrass bed with Hippocampus erectus. I can tell you this: Leds will not make it, as seagrasses usually grow up to the surface , usually in only four to five feet of water and need intense sunlight. They will begin to decompose quickly. I used a Oddessy 150 watt metal halide (100 bucks from aquatraders) with better luck. I now use the fixture to grow sps in my Fuge. Leds would be a waste on seagrass, not intense enough.

How deep was your tank? Did you move the 150w because you needed more light for the grasses? How did you control the heat? BTW, these are erectus are well.

The 24 inch Odessey 150 pendant comes with a fan mounted on top, and two actinic t5s which I never use. It sits sideways on my sump over the fuge. The fan will keep the heat down.

The 24 inch Odessey 150 pendant comes with a fan mounted on top, and two actinic t5s which I never use. It sits sideways on my sump over the fuge. The fan will keep the heat down.

Looks like they don't have the pendants anymore. I do see a 36" 250w with 2 t5 for $159.

So does everyone think 150w mh will do a good job for the grasses at this debth or should I go with a 175 or 250w?

It comes with everything but end caps...as for the mh I thought you were concerned about the temp. If So you will need a chiller...what kind of mh? Mogul or hqi?

If I buy the leds, I also need to buy the endcaps, correct? Does the price of the bulb include the ballast? How many will I need to equal a 150w or 250w bulb?

65g tall, 24" deep with a varying debth sand bed to accomodate turtle grass and shoal grass.

Romanr- that fixture looks right up my budget. Does everyone think a 150w will work on this tank or do I need more light? I'm aware that the grass needs lower kelvin, but I'm sure others reading this will find it useful to know. However, those actinics look like a great idea for my 125g reef tank. No divier in the tank, but I do have a conopy I want to put on it. How much do you think a 150w mh will heat up this size tank?

I apppreciate the help, please keep it coming.

I am concerned about the temperature getting too high, but the led tube doesn't look like it will produce enough par at 24". That and I couldn't find a price for comparison. Do you have a link to a price list? The 150w mh is $100. I can't get a chiller, but I can install fans. I'm really not sure what is best, which is why everyone's help is so welcome. :)

What kinda par are you looking for? A friend introduced these lights to me and he grows everything lps sps in his 150 with no issues and good growth.. My 4's are 35$ each with ballest..

Wow!

If it will grow sps and lps in 24" of water then it will work for grasses. I can handle getting 3 at that price. How many does your friend have over his tank? I don't know exact par, I just know that many of the grasses tend to be higher light. How do I get a price list for the site?

Back