Lighting question for 54 gal corner bow

mkocan

I have a 54 gal corner bow that is primarily soft corals (kenyan tree, which I need to get rid of) and mushrooms.

The LFS sold me with the tank a Current Orbit Marine LED fixture. It is 24" long. This is the fixture.

I am now realizing that the light is not that powerful especially for a 20" high tank such as mine. The old setup I had, before it leaked and was replaced by the corner bow, was a 55 gallon tank with a fixture that had 4x65 watt PC bulbs and a single 250 watt metal halide. That fixture won't fit on my tank though and I want to upgrade my lights to grow some LPS and other corals. Not really sure I want to bother with SPS but would be nice to have the option.

The tank does have a custom wood canopy which the Current fixture fits under and which I do like. So I'd hope for a light that would also fit but am not opposed to scrap the canopy and use a hanging fixture. I thought about buying a second Current LED fixture, the 18" one, and run it alongside the 24" fixture but I don't know if that would help at all. Looking for a recommendation, without spending a fortune, for other options or the thoughts on running the two fixtures together.

Any of the 165W "Chinese Black Box" (as we refer to them around here) LEDs on Amazon/Ebay
Mars Aqua, Galaxy Hydro, Viparspectra to name a few of the "brands"..
All are basically the same thing though.. Some feature slightly different LED colors and functionality.. Some have a timer.. some don't.. some have wifi,etc...

1 should be just fine for you and be under $100 for the basic ones..

Thanks, was looking at some of them and had read that they are more than adequate. Will definitely look more into these fixtures.

I have that exact same tank with an AI Hydra 26HD and it works great. I don't run any of the channels above 60% and its about 8 inches above the water. Everything grows great in there.

Back