Lighting recommendations for New 55g set up.

It just got me to thinking about what 89foxbody said about needing a bigger tank and if I upgrade now would be the better time before I actually get coral and fish

Is it the standard 90 that's 48 long X 18 wide X 24 high? For a reef I'd want it to be shorter and wider. You're really only getting 5 extra inches of width so you can think of it as paying $70 / inch of width...

Having gone through the upgrade process myself (albeit decades ago), I can say that it's better to figure out exactly what you want and wait for it to show up on Craig's List. There are always people getting out of the hobby, or getting a bigger tank, and usually willing to deal. Getting one that comes with equipment that you can use will save you $$$. Maybe you could put in a listing for "Tank Wanted".:)

While you wait, you can find a good home for your FW tank.

I will get pics when I get it cleaned up.. filthy right now... -_-. Will have to build a stand for it, and thinking a canopy...it's still in the back of the truck right now..I think it will work good. It's a 48x24x30 reef ready...feeling pretty overwhelmed right now though. Lol

I will get pics when I get it cleaned up.. filthy right now... -_-. Will have to build a stand for it, and thinking a canopy...it's still in the back of the truck right now..I think it will work good. It's a 48x24x30 reef ready...feeling pretty overwhelmed right now though. Lol

Hey. Remember earlier this week when you were going to do a 55? So excited for you!

5b647a608a49a5f4a2daee169a87947e.jpg

Here it is. Preliminary cleaning.. it's upside down drying. Going to reseal the inside with aquarium silicone just to be safe. Then fill it up with water and check it. They said it holds water, but I want to know for sure.

---
Going to reseal the inside with aquarium silicone just to be safe.
---

I don't know if that's a great idea. Silicone doesn't actually bond with cured silicone. If you lay new silicone over the old stuff, over time the new stuff will work its way off the old stuff. By covering over the old silicone, you may be masking a problem that would then surprise you a long time from now when the new silicone comes apart.

I don't know if that's a great idea. Silicone doesn't actually bond with cured silicone. If you lay new silicone over the old stuff, over time the new stuff will work its way off the old stuff. By covering over the old silicone, you may be masking a problem that would then surprise you a long time from now when the new silicone comes apart.
I was thinking of scraping the old off and resilicone it. Hubby has the tools and plumbing know how to reseal it..
not a good idea? Better to just leave it and fill it up and hope it doesn't leak?

If you're going to pull the old stuff first, and hubs knows what he's doing, go for it. Just make for sure that you use 100% silicone...none of that mildew resistant stuff. Have fun!

I was thinking of scraping the old off and resilicone it. Hubby has the tools and plumbing know how to reseal it..
not a good idea? Better to just leave it and fill it up and hope it doesn't leak?

Also...did hubby know he was getting a new hobby too? :)

Kind of wondering now if I should keep my 55 gallon to make it a sump with refugium. Don't know if my current 20 gallon is gonna cut it for the new 150 gallon... -_-

Back