Lighting recommendations for New 55g set up.

CaBrowne

Hello everyone,

Originally had this under Lighting topic, but I guess it should go here.

New to the site and to a reef aquarium. I've had planted aquariums and
FOWLR setups, but decided to try my hand at a reef aquarium.

I would like some suggestions for suitable lighting. I am currently in cycle mode with my tank.

Here is what I have so far:

55 non reef ready aquarium- used to be planted aquarium.
about 55 lbs live sand/aragonite
23.5 lbs of live rock, with a few micro brittle star hitchhikers
Fluval LED 48". (first one they came out with got it for 65.00 at lfs. dont think its the Ultrabright). Had it for my planted aquarium and it grew Low light plants- cripts, java ferns, anubias really well.
2 Hydor Koralia 425 powerheads
eshoppes PF 1200 HOB overflow box
20 gallon long DIY sump
Triton 3 return pump
bubble magus curve 5 protein skimmer

Also have eheim 2217 canister filter (don't plan on using)
and HOB Seaclone protein skimmer (don't plan on using)

I'm not for sure yet what kind of coral I want, but I don't think i want any overly complex species.

I have been looking at the Current Orbit Marine Pro LED 48". Would this be a good fixture for my setup? Use it with the Fluval i have? what would my options be with both lights?

Thanks for any help!

Forget all the current fixtures. If you're on a budget look at the full spectrum Chinese black boxes they go on ebay and amazon for around 90$ you will need two of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxyhydro-55x3w-Dimmable-Spectrum-Aquarium/dp/B00INM0J1M/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1453152455&sr=1-2&keywords=reef+led

If you want something a little better like with programmable lighting period look at something like this. You would need two.

http://www.amazon.com/Programmable-LED-Aquarium-Light-Fixture/dp/B00ECHISKQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1453152484&sr=1-1&keywords=reef+led+programable

If you want to spend a little more money you have the Aquatic life Halo and the Kessil type fixtures. Best looks IMO. Again you would need two of one type.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Halo-Deluxe-Fixture/dp/B00T6FGE3M/ref=sr_1_sc_13?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1453152484&sr=1-13-spell&keywords=reef+led+programable

http://www.amazon.com/Kessil-A360WE-Controllable-Aquarium-Light/dp/B00BW9KEH2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1453152624&sr=1-2&keywords=Kessil

Then if you have lots of disposable income lying around you could get two Ecotech Radions.

http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_Marine_Radion_XR30w_Gen3_LED_Light_Fixtures_20_Inch_LED_Light_Fixtures-EcoTech_Marine-EM58600-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

Oh yeah there's also build my led. I've heard good things about them.

http://www.buildmyled.com/saltwater-products/

You also need more flow. You want to shoot for about 30X turnover for a mixed reef and even higher for SPS dominant. Right now with the Koralias your sitting at 15x so you need to double your flow.

I would personally get two Jebao RW 10's and sell the 425's

http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-RW-4-Wavemaker-Controller/dp/B00MVI3BLO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1453153062&sr=1-1&keywords=jebao+rw+4

You could also look at the mp10 from ecotech as their price has just dropped. Apparently they have the new quiet drive pumps out now.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vortech-mp10-qd-propeller-pump-ecotech-marine.html

ok thanks for the quick reply.

So there are no 48" lights that you would recommend? can those just sit on my tank or do they have to be hung? Would T5HO be a better (economical) option? I don't really want to get MH due to heat.

As far as the flow i currently have. Is there no type of coral that will work until i can upgrade later (just bought the powerheads, and cant take them back)?

Yeah you can use them until you upgrade I would start with some zoas maybe mushrooms if you want them a lot of soft corals can handle lower flow. When your doing your research on corals look for low flow species.

A t5 fixture would be a good choice as well you wont get any shimmer but they produce great color and you can get a fixture that will fit your tank. I would get a 4 bulb fixture if your leaning toward t5's.

Reefbreaders sells a 48" version of the black box style led's. They are really great and they've had a lot of happy customers over the years.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-48/

For your narrow 55, I'd second looking at a Build My LED strip. The challenge with the Chinese black boxes is they're pretty wide and would cover most of the opening of your tank. BMLs are really thin and throw a lot of light. I just got 2 for my 65. Lots of light, and if you wanted a second one later, you'd still have room.

Alternatively, you could get one black box and a reef-ready cube tank :)

For your narrow 55, I'd second looking at a Build My LED strip. The challenge with the Chinese black boxes is they're pretty wide and would cover most of the opening of your tank. BMLs are really thin and throw a lot of light. I just got 2 for my 65. Lots of light, and if you wanted a second one later, you'd still have room.

Alternatively, you could get one black box and a reef-ready cube tank :)

Any suggestions on what LEDS i would need if i go the Build My LED option? more white or blue? or half and half? the blue shade of whites better? what shade of blue?

Would love to get another tank, but this is the one I already had (with stand) :hmm2:

There's a lot of debate on that. If you only got one, I'd probably do their 14000k. That's one of the two I got and it gives a nice spectrum of color.

I have a 55 with two of the full spectrum Chinese black boxes and I personally love them. Yes they take up a lot of space and have to be removed to get in the tank but its not that big of a deal to unplug one or the other and remove half the lighting for a bit. If I hung them from maybe a 2x2 frame attached to the cabinet underneath it might be even easier.

For reference. Here is my tank with two of the BML. My tank is 24" wide and 36" long. Yes, that's half of a lowes bucket lid covering my overflow. Don't judge. Also the tooth coral was a rescue so don't judge it's deadheads either.

97b343b14063de130e251c996cd70784.jpg

f158c5b3bf62f285a42788f3ea347ab8.jpg

I'm experimenting with DIY leds. What you see are 3 watt cree 10 in series and another strand of 10 in parallel. Just a old amp I took apart and used for a heat sink. Voltage is 36 and amps are 1.4 adjustable. There on about 60 percent I'll be adding blues tomorrow if my driver comes in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
No, but it seems similar to the Marine Orbit. Even has the same control pad and remote that I have collecting dust in my basement. Seriously, get the professional grade for $100 more and avoid the mis-spend on this just to upgrade to what you should have gotten in the first place.

Would there be any advantage to saving up and going with the DIY lighting option that Build my LED offers? think they are like 399.00 or something. Would I only need one fixture if I did it that way?

The DIY and the 14000k XB are going to be about the same price (14000k is $329). Only difference is with DIY you can pick all your colors and beam angle. The output power should be about the same. If you aren't an expert on spectrum and don't know one (I'm not) DIY probably isn't the right option.

I know it isn't the purpose of the thread but you will no be happy with the width of a 55. It has the look of a big tank but no size to work with. You should upgrade to a 75 before you build everything and save yourself some headache in the future. Just my opinion.

I know it isn't the purpose of the thread but you will no be happy with the width of a 55. It has the look of a big tank but no size to work with. You should upgrade to a 75 before you build everything and save yourself some headache in the future. Just my opinion.
Wish I could but I can't afford the cost of new stand and aquarium now

I'd second the Reefbreeder suggestion. They come with legs to sit on your aquarium rim, very bright, built well, and controllable. Can set it to change every 30 min for full sun rise and set and it has some moonlights. I have the 32" myself and love it so far.

Wish I could but I can't afford the cost of new stand and aquarium now

You know what; I had a 55 reef for 5 years and it was fine. Not ideal, but I made it work. Just means you need to replace with a wider 48" tank at some point.

You know what; I had a 55 reef for 5 years and it was fine. Not ideal, but I made it work. Just means you need to replace with a wider 48" tank at some point.
Okay been thinking about it and talked it over with the hubby. may be able to upgrade to a 90 gallon. found a good deal, I think it is anyways, wants 350 for 90 gal reef ready aquarium stand equipment plants and freshwater fish. Would adopt out fish keep some plants and sell the others possibly and sell some equipment. Would that be a good size saltwater aquarium I only have about 5 to 4 and a half feet of space in my house to play with. Or should I look elsewhere for a bigger tank? is there a bigger size that would fit 5 feet or less with stand?

Back