Lighting

splurge619

I was thinking of purchasing the latest radion light fixture from ecotech which is the G6 pro. But my question is does anyone put them over a rectangular tank? I have a 29 gallon that's 30" by 12" by 18" and the radion g6 pro has a 36" by 36" light spread. I feel that if I bite the bullet, I will have a lot of wasted light. Currently I have 2 T5 HO lamps which are a pain to change since their ballasts are very fragile. Any thoughts?

You could buy the G5 instead and save money. They have less spread.
The main difference between the G5 and G6 is light spread other than that it is a few leds that changed.

I think they should continue to offer both fixtures because for those who mount their lights higher it is tons of wasted light in the G6.
I saw Tidal Gardens just purchased the G5 instead of G6 for that reason.

Personally I am not impressed with the Radions though. I own a few of them and just do not like the light on how it looks. It just does not ever give the true colors even the pro. I am not into the black light look of the way some people like to display corals. I like some blue corals and they never look right under so much blue. plus the fixtures are kind of cheap plastic and have no aesthetics appeal. Just a cheap plastic box. if they were cheaper in price I could see it.

Last edited:
They are pricey but there’s some people selling the G5s in the used goods marketplace here. That said, do they make light shields for them? I know some people custom build light shields to eliminate light spill

Back