Lighting

kattsue

Would like to upgrade from pc ligting to mh lighting. For the size of my tank (30"), there is a 150 watt and 250 watt. Would like to have a anenome, some corals (not sure what kind yet). Would 250 watt be too much for a 30 gallon tank?

For a 30 gallon tank, I'm guessing your height is 18"? I would think a 150w would be enough for you to keep pretty much anything.

yeah i kinda have the same question, whats the proper amount of wattage for my tank. size: 37x17x12. i was thinking of doing the same thing, anenome, and corals. what about PC lighting 96wattsx2 = 192watts?

Right now I have 65w x 2 PC. Now I'm reading about T5 HO. There is one that says 4 24w T5 HO. Which way best to go, MH or T5. The total on the T5 is less than by PC. So confused! Tank is 18" deep.

The T5 bulbs last a lot longer than the metal halide. They also produce less heat.
I have had all 3 sizes 150 175 250 MH's for your tank if I went that way I would use a 175 unless you find a 150 for a lot less money.
If cost is not a factor I would probably go with the T5s the best units have individual reflectors for each bulb.
Unless you are going to keep SPS any of these would work fine for an anemone or most other corals.

Back