Linksys Gaming adpater - connection issue

PSam

Searching back through the posts, apparently the linksys gaming adapter may or may not work... anyone who has gotten it to work, any secret?

AC3 is accessible on home network, and a buddy in Utah was able to access from SLC with no problem as well, so, it is accessible, as long as it is jacked into the linksys router.

Has to be some setting I'm overlooking with the gaming adapter itself. Any ideas?

I've disabled MAC filtering, gave the adapter an IP unique to network, correct SSID, password. From there, I'm clueless. Everything seems fine...

AC on 5050, totally accessible if jacked into router itself...

Any ideas from those who got the linksys to work? I figured I'd try it first since I have the linksys router....

Do you have a game console you can try the gaming adapter out on? I'm assuming if it works on the console it should work on the AC3. Just thinking it might be easier trying it out on the game console. I know I have a netgear gaming adapter on my 360 and it was a pain to get it working. For some reason I couldn't get it to work when I gave it a IP address using my home pc. I finally hooked it up to my work laptop and did the same thing I did using my home pc and it finally started working.

I bought the Linksys gaming adapter and hooked it up over the weekend. Took me many hours :( ! Problem was i could see the AC3 locally, but couldnt see it from the net. Apparently the issue was the way i setup my Port Forwarding. Two things I learned after searching to fix it, are one: For source point make sure u choose "Any" and not single. Single is chosen in the next step for destination(the port number you gave it). And the second thing that i kept overlooking was the way i named the connection. I had learned i should have just typed in the ip addr of the AC3 in the box where it specify addr. and i had to add port and used TCP with the port number of the AC3. After doing that it worked from the internet!

I have a PS2 which I think has ethernet. I'll see if I can get it to talk to that. It's frustrating, you'd figure linksys components should be able to talk to each other easily.

If the AC3 is plugged into my router, no problem - visible at home network and live online... It is something with the damn game adapter....

If I went the Buffalo route, does anyone have a buffalo adapter and a linksys router? Would that work? I like my router, it is solid.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try those ideas when I get home...

Anyone else have additional ideas?

The way I would do it is to purchase a WRT54GL router and load up the DD-WRT firmware. You can set it to act as a wirless to etherent bridge just like the gaming adapter.

I've never used the straight up gaming adapter since they cost more than just buying a router and loading the firmware. I do know that the router acting as a bridge works excellent and is easy to configure. Plus you get 4 network ports and not just 1 like on the linksys gaming adapter.

I have a couple of these setup like the above in operation and they've worked flawlessly. The linksys router out of the box is buggy. All of them I deploy in home networks I will load the DD-WRT firmware just for the stability.

However the linksys WRT54G version you use must be running linux. The new ones sold don't so you will need the WRT54GL version. Look at the chart on the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

Just be aware if you go this route you void the warranty on your router as you will be flashing non linksys firmware. I've never had a problem with flashing the firmware, but your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Not gonna flash my router, I have considered it in the past. I decided it is not worth it to me, as I am not that network savvy (read: nearly network illiterate :))and don't want to brick it.

It just shouldn't be that difficult to get the dang adapter running out of the box, especially when the router is the same brand.

So, I got it working, but now dyndns blocked my address for "abuse". I'm waiting for another response, but apparently my set up is updating every 10 minutes, instead of only when the IP changes. Now, the times he showed me were from last night when I was fiddling with it, and I've asked them to check if still going on as of this morning.

Is there a setting anyone is aware of that would cause this? Somehow I didn't do the dyndns right?

Most likely your dyndns client is setup to force updates every 10 minutes, instead of only when the IP address changes. I haven't used the dyndns client in years, but I know that there was a setting like this.

Curt

Dyndns just got back to me and said as of now, everything is fine and have been no updates so far today, so I must have done something right... finally... AC3 is online ... status visible ... controllable ... and we happy :) ....

Thanks for all the help / advice...! Now to figure out the real-time graphs...

I have a feeling I'll just write this work day off ....

Last edited:
I have a feeling the gaming adapter is suspect of dropping off the network. Suddenly this afternoon, lost connection to ac3. Sig from slallen's site not working either. My wife just got home, and connected to the wireless no problem with laptop.

so, gaming adapter suspect? anyone have this issue?

Make sure that you have the latest version of the firmware in the controller (3.2). It sends packets occassionally to keep the wireless connection alive. Some bridges (buggy IMO) just shut down, and never come back if there is no traffic on the Ethernet side.

Curt

It was the AC3 - frozen on the Run page when I got home. I just pulled the power and plugged it back in - no problem, back online in seconds. Putting 2 + 2 together, I believe it went down when I was playing with the status widget from my office yesterday afternoon... gonna go check that forum to see what bug might have been.

Back