Lionfish tank?

MoonSkin

I'm going to be setting up a 55 gallon or a 40 gallon breeder in the next year or so and I was wondering if it would be possible to stock it with 2-3 lionfish?

The lionfishes I'd choose from would be Hawaiian green lion, fu manchu, fuzzy dwarf, zebra or an antenna lionfish.

Does anyone have any mutli-lion tanks or know if a combo of these fish would work? I already own a stunning yellow fuzzy dwarf who is about 3.5 inches in size.

Its far from impossible, but I think a 55 is too small for more than one lion. Your fuzzy, when grown and fins stretched out, is a lot of fish.

Last edited:
You could do two dwarfs in a 55 as long as you kept up with the water quality. All the ones you are deciding from are good choices except the p. antennata, they grow a little larger than the dwarfs and would need a 55 to itself.

I've kept multiple lion setups for years and as long as you don't get a huge size differential between the two (or three) or two males of the same species you shouldn't have any issues. With the exception of the fuzzies you cannot differentiate between male and female so you cannot have two of the same species. The Hawaiian green lion may also be sexually dihmorphic, I can't remember.

I'm currently keeping a fuzzy, fu man chu, and a zebra together in a 90 along with two scorpionfish and they get along great.

Post some pics of your lion I'd love to see it. Here's one of my little yellow girl

3757b6cd.jpg

Thanks for the answers. I actually got my yellow fuzzy from a lfs for only 45$. Guess he didn't know most charge more for yellows. She's the most beautiful lion in the world I think :3. I'll have to post a picture of her soon.

So I shouldn't have trouble, in theory, with 2 fuzzy dwarfs? So long as I sex them properly and do weekly water changes like I have?

Back