Live Rock in Milwaukee

SirTony76

Hey Everbody, I am working on starting up my tank and I am looking to buy about 30 lbs of live rock. I go to school in milwaukee and don't know to much about the fish stores around here. Would anybody be able to recommend a vendor to buy live rock from?

I would rather not buy it online because it may be difficult to coordinate delivery and somebody being at my house with class and all. Thanks everybody!

TP

Premium Aqauatics would be a good place to start. I grew up in Racine, and even back in the early 80's that was always a nice trip! I haven't been there in years, but still hear good things.

Also, look in the reef club forums for the Wisconsin Reef Society forum, as well as the Wisconsin Fox Valley club (we're not THAT far from you). Easier to get local info from the locals :)

I live in dousman, which is a little south of oconomowoc. i actually go all the way to madison for a good lfs. But that is probably out of the question, I have heard that there is a great lfs on hwy 100. Ill try to get the name for you.

I am assuming this is the place you guys are talking about:

http://bestfish.com/

Has anybody bought from Hoffers? I went there last year sometime and don't remember being very impressed by their live rock. For what live rock costs I definitely want to get some good stuff.

Yep, that's their online site.

Again though, may want to check around with more actually in Milwaukee on the WRS forum. I'm basing it only on not having heard anything other than positive comments and know that even back when I was a kid a trip to Milwaukee to go there was almost as good as going to Disney World :)

But, there wasn't much in Kenosha/Racine to compare it to. Jim's in Kenosha was about the only place with any marine stock at all. Jim's great, but the little basement shop didn't provide much room for a big selection.

Re: Live Rock in Milwaukee

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8063897#post8063897 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SirTony76
Hey Everbody, I am working on starting up my tank and I am looking to buy about 30 lbs of live rock. I go to school in milwaukee and don't know to much about the fish stores around here. Would anybody be able to recommend a vendor to buy live rock from?

I would rather not buy it online because it may be difficult to coordinate delivery and somebody being at my house with class and all. Thanks everybody!

TP

Order it so that's it's delivered to General Mitchell. I highly suggest saltycritter.com for live rock. The Uaniva rock is incredible and they were one of the few people still willing to ship through the airport. Shipping alone I saved almost $100.

All the local stores are overpriced, crap, or both...

Why don't you get it from Liveaquaria, they are in Wisconsin so I'm thinking you could have it delivered regular ground shipping and save some money.

FVRC is also starting to organize a group LR order. If you can make it this far, you may want to consider jumping in with that too.

Everybody who has gone to Aquatics Unlimited:

I called them today and their "high-grade" rock is $8.99/lb if I buy 25 lbs or more (which I was planning on). How does their rock tend to compare with that from liveaquaria?

I'm nervous to order online just because it may be difficult to be able to have somebody at my house when it will be delivered. Also, I would prefer to see what I am getting before I spend this kind of money.

Also, would the curing process be faster if I bought it locally? I was under the impression one must cure the rock because of the die off while transporting. Obviously there is more time of transporting if I order from FedEx than if my roommate drove me to the store and we picked up a box.

TP

Call Dale at floridaliverock.com.

I had 100 pounds shipped directly to General Mitchell Field.
Even with the air freight, it was considerably cheaper than retail. And, their rock is awesome!!!

The air freight terminal is easily accessable, and you can pick it up at your convenience.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8064840#post8064840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anydarnthing
Why don't you get it from Liveaquaria, they are in Wisconsin so I'm thinking you could have it delivered regular ground shipping and save some money.

Liveaquaria, (exellent vender BTW) is in californa.

Also, would the curing process be faster if I bought it locally? I was under the impression one must cure the rock because of the die off while transporting. Obviously there is more time of transporting if I order from FedEx than if my roommate drove me to the store and we picked up a box.

The store gets it shipped the same way......
You will just have a bit more die off when you bring it home....
Thats why you have to cure it again.....
And.... In MY Humble Opinon... ALL live rock should be quarantined, and checked for the nasties that inevitably come with it. IMHO, this is more important that curing.... (and takes longer too)

Good Luck:D

And another thing, I've learned that with live rock, less is more.
Look for the best you can find, and order a quarter of what you were planning. If thats not enough use base rock. Thats my advice.:p

Back