Local NSW

I had a buddy who used NSW for his fish only system, said he would go out on the middle of one of the bridges to get at least a little offshore.

... we take these fish from the ocean with an abundant amount of assorted bacteria, pods, microorganisms, critters, algaes, etc.....

Just pointing out that this isn't always the case (Thankfully). More and more livestock are being bred in captivity which are not exposed to the various types of bacteria from the wild

Right, not ALL are WC.. but theres still a much much larger percentage of WC fish in comparison to CB. They just now started to breed hippo tangs in captivity for the first time.. im willing to bet all 7 of my tangs came from the ocean.

Love this thread. I live on a canal in st Pete right near weedon island, preservation mangrove habitat if you are not familiar. I've always considered collecting, not from my dock of course, but deep in the mangrove channels. Everything within 30 yards is non combustion motor zones, and so I can troller it in there pretty far. I always imagined the water must be pretty decent with all of the mangroves. I wouldn't drive clear out to the gulf side though. I'm just too worried about the bay water. I should go collect and have some good testing at an LFS.

Awesome! I went the day before yesterday and collected 25 gallons of NSW and did a water change... the corals and anemone opened up nicely. The fish were actively swimming around as usual. I did a test for nitrates ammonia PH and nitrites.. everything read perfect as far as those parameters go

Back