LOGO for SWFMAS

Why?

What defines a "society"? Don't we actually need more than 4 or 5 members or have a clubhouse or something?:)

How about a mascot?

I'll collect the monthly dues.
I accept pay pal and cash.:D

Marco are you the president of this club or want to be? You seem to be the only one getting the ball rolling, and now's the time, we i notice at least 5 plus people starting to post regularly in this forum lately. If you need help let me know I'll do my best

am I ? No ... sh!t .. is this even a club? doubtful ... not sure ... never checked ...

maybe i shoudl ask the mods to start a new subforum "WMAS" - Wiszmasters Marine Aquatic Sosciety ;-)

no seriously .. i'd like to start something again ... and apparently i am the only one really trying to make an effort.... we've had a few people voicing their interest in some sort of show-off meetings .. which is cool with me! I'd love to go see a new tank every month, few weeks - and meet wih people locally, get to hear their stories about disaster, fortune, luck with certain coral/fish ... their tricks, or ways of doing things - or simply to check out their equipment!

I've already offered we could be @ my house.
You've offered yoru store to meet.
I believe scott said it would be cool with him as well ... and few more said they'd come.

I have not spoken to rich @ boardroom aquatics abotu this yet - btu he did mention that he used to run a clob & great success & turn outs.

Everytime i walk into ANY of the local stores, there are a few people that have large tanks 100g or more that i've never seen on here - and i'm sure would love to do the same - if they knew about it.

Either way .. i've registered the domain www.SWFMAS.com - an am hosting it ... check it out ... register on it.

It has the following Features:
Gallery - Image Hosting (FREE)
Local Forum

I'd like to add a few more features:
Local Fish Store Directory
Aquarium Maintenance
Fish Sitter Directory
Product Reviews - BY MEMBERS!

etc..etc..

check out the website ... let me know what you think ... if you have any ideas, or want to come up with a design - FEEL FREE! let me know, and we'll get it done ... whats up is what i di myself so far ... nobody has chimed in on it ... BUT PLEASE DO!

I remember i met hobster @ boardroom once & we got chatting about additives & dosing kalk/calcium ... he mentioned that he used Dr. Randy Holmes-Farleys recepie.

Now i've read through some of his articles, i've seen the recepie ... but wouldn't it be nice to have a meet, and roy (hobster) brings some small samples of the raw ingredients, tells where he got them from, tells which substitude ingredients NOT to use ... and we make some, and i bet a few users would even buy some of the finished products from roy .. or the ingredients.

i believe roy said he had bulk of the ingredients?

yes it is a 29g biocube- new set up (1 month).
I just moved out of the park and into Bella Terra- 4 months ago. I have been working the the guys at ocean environments. They have been incredible and helpful and so far it has been a great experience.
Put my first corals in today.

awesome! get some pictures up. Lisafl has a 29g biocube as well.

one of her ballasts went out last week, but a new one is en route.

How are your temps holding up in the tank? if you don't, i'd suggest monitoring them. I ended up having to drill the top of her tank & place a fan in it - the temps in her tank were just creeping up.

Thanks for the info and Lisa's pics look great.
My temps have been holding around 76-78 consistently- I will make sure I continue to track daily.
I will get some pics up soon.

tank looks very nice... you'll def need some more liverock in there, its ok to add little chunks here and there but in a biocube or other small setup liverock is your best source for biological filtration so the sooner you get it in there the better. If your looking for some liverock thats got decent coraline coverage and unique shapes I have lots of premium indo rock at the store.

I like the fact that you have 2 cleaner shrimp as they are fantastic creatures for parasite control. Keep up the good work

sweet! yes, get some more rock in there!

do you use the bio balls in the back chamber? i took them out of lisas tank & placed a bunch of liverock rubble in there .... the more the better.

thanks guys- currently I have about 25 pounds of LR- and agree I can use some more. Yes- I am currenlty using the bio-balls, I have read a lot of controversy over them and didnt want to do something until I had all of the facts. Some say use them others say to get rid of them.
Thanks Again.

they aren't a bad thing, they are just slowly going out of style, sorta like the undergravel filters of the past. See a bioball is just a piece of media (much like liverock) that is designed for max surface area to allow bacteria to colonize. Then the bacteria break down ammonia and turn them to nitrate. Liverock does the same thing except the bacteria is completely submersed as opposed to water trickling over it. This is better because if you have a long power failure all the bacteria on the now dry bioballs dies, and causes a spike in ammonia which your liverock then has to work overtime to turn to nitrate which all in all is not good for your tank. But bioballs are not a bad thing and you don't have to tear them out yesterday to have a successful tank. Just keep reading and decide what you like best.

That sounds like a plan- If I were to put liverock in place of the bioballs, do you slowly phase it- take a few of the balls out and replace with rock gradually over the course of a few days?
I just looked at your gallery photos and your tank is incredible!

if it were me, i'd just replace them all at once - otherwise you'll end up making a mess ... that back chamber is small as it is.

just make sure that once you plac liverock in that back chamber - you keep the rock covered with water ... lisa keeps her water ABOVE the top line .. to make sure the LR is covered ...

do you still use that carbon/filterpad filter that slides in? lisa doesn't .. it restricts the flow too much & makes the water overflow to the back of the tank/filter chambers.

Back