Long overdue check in

toddmau5

I've been absent from the forum scene for quite some time now, but still clinging on to the hobby. Just figured I'd try to get back into the swing of things by making an update. Pretty bummed out about the hobby right now, so hoping by posting and paying attention to the forums will sorta kick start my love for the hobby again.
We finally finished the room were the 265g will be moving to and hopefully spending the rest of its life. Only took 2 years lol. Between work related injuries, other injuries multiple job changes and a wedding, we finally got the room done and are ready to move the tank.
However, I think the aforementioned issues with completing the room, also led to the demise and crash of my tank. We are both completely heart broken but trying to look forward to starting over. January of this year the tank couldn't have looked better. Calcium reactor was living up to all that it was hyped up to be. Growth and coloration was amazing. Probably by mid march, maybe april we started to get some coral bleaching from the base up. Tested and tested and tested and couldn't find any issues. We lost some frags here and there and a colony slowly. Over the last 3 months or so the tank just took a fast downhill slide. We started loosing whole mature colonies, RTN virtually overnight. Start testing like crazy again. Everything is ok, except alk keeps dropping. Keep playing with the reactor. Alk still keeps dropping despite calcium and magnesium remaining constant. Keep dosing alk to try and stay on top of it. Then the algae bloom. Green hair algae took over the tank, and began to grow over corals and choke them out and kill them. High phosphates of course. 0.2ppm. double up on the water changes, replace the phosphate remover more frequently. Cut back feeding. Still cant get the algae under control. Then the fish death. Our very large gold spotted rabbit fish, clowns and gobies, all died. So now we sit with a complete algae forest of a fish tank and clinging on to the remaining fish.
So now we are trying to save what bits of corals we can, fragging of the living pieces, moving the remaining pieces. We set up and established a frag tank. Moved everything into their. Acros and Montis just keep melting like crazy. Even ones that looked great in the big tank, just melt in the frag tank. But the LPS is still kicking. I think this is why we are looking at starting over. Just getting a fresh start, clean and new. We have lost so many amazing looking corals, big colonies and high end and rare pieces that I'm not sure we can find again. I guess that's part of the hobby tho.
So looking forward. I have decided to change up the 265g a bit. I've decided I want to remove the corner over flows and run a ghost over flow style, and switch over to running a bean animal plumbing set up. This of course leads me to make changes to the stand. I will either need to make massive modifications to the current wooden stand, or start over. At this point I am leaning heavily towards building an aluminum stand, and skinning it later on. I think this will also make moving the tank easier since we will just move from one stand on to the next. Rather then trying to move the tank, then the stand and then put the tank back on the stand. That monster is freaking heavy. Also looking at moving away from the calcium reactor and on to a balling method of some sort, like triton or aquaforest. Its hard cause the calcium reactor is such a proven workhorse. Unless you are draining alk and cant keep up lol
So, here we are. We have a plan. Now we just need to keep fingers crossed and positive thoughts to rebooting this tank and hope we can hang on to what's still clinging to life. So, I might start hitting a lot of you up for some local frags to help get me going again. 

I've been absent from the forum scene for quite some time now, but still clinging on to the hobby. Just figured I'd try to get back into the swing of things by making an update. Pretty bummed out about the hobby right now, so hoping by posting and paying attention to the forums will sorta kick start my love for the hobby again.

We finally finished the room were the 265g will be moving to and hopefully spending the rest of its life. Only took 2 years lol. Between work related injuries, other injuries multiple job changes and a wedding, we finally got the room done and are ready to move the tank.

However, I think the aforementioned issues with completing the room, also led to the demise and crash of my tank. We are both completely heart broken but trying to look forward to starting over. January of this year the tank couldn't have looked better. Calcium reactor was living up to all that it was hyped up to be. Growth and coloration was amazing. Probably by mid march, maybe april we started to get some coral bleaching from the base up. Tested and tested and tested and couldn't find any issues. We lost some frags here and there and a colony slowly. Over the last 3 months or so the tank just took a fast downhill slide. We started loosing whole mature colonies, RTN virtually overnight. Start testing like crazy again. Everything is ok, except alk keeps dropping. Keep playing with the reactor. Alk still keeps dropping despite calcium and magnesium remaining constant. Keep dosing alk to try and stay on top of it. Then the algae bloom. Green hair algae took over the tank, and began to grow over corals and choke them out and kill them. High phosphates of course. 0.2ppm. double up on the water changes, replace the phosphate remover more frequently. Cut back feeding. Still cant get the algae under control. Then the fish death. Our very large gold spotted rabbit fish, clowns and gobies, all died. So now we sit with a complete algae forest of a fish tank and clinging on to the remaining fish.

So now we are trying to save what bits of corals we can, fragging of the living pieces, moving the remaining pieces. We set up and established a frag tank. Moved everything into their. Acros and Montis just keep melting like crazy. Even ones that looked great in the big tank, just melt in the frag tank. But the LPS is still kicking. I think this is why we are looking at starting over. Just getting a fresh start, clean and new. We have lost so many amazing looking corals, big colonies and high end and rare pieces that I'm not sure we can find again. I guess that's part of the hobby tho.

So looking forward. I have decided to change up the 265g a bit. I've decided I want to remove the corner over flows and run a ghost over flow style, and switch over to running a bean animal plumbing set up. This of course leads me to make changes to the stand. I will either need to make massive modifications to the current wooden stand, or start over. At this point I am leaning heavily towards building an aluminum stand, and skinning it later on. I think this will also make moving the tank easier since we will just move from one stand on to the next. Rather then trying to move the tank, then the stand and then put the tank back on the stand. That monster is freaking heavy. Also looking at moving away from the calcium reactor and on to a balling method of some sort, like triton or aquaforest. Its hard cause the calcium reactor is such a proven workhorse. Unless you are draining alk and cant keep up lol

So, here we are. We have a plan. Now we just need to keep fingers crossed and positive thoughts to rebooting this tank and hope we can hang on to what's still clinging to life. So, I might start hitting a lot of you up for some local frags to help get me going again. 

Hey Chris.... what a bummer all that you have been through lately with the tank. It seems that a lot of people are having major issues right now, and I'm having a few of my own. I just can't keep my Alk up. I think I'll be moving to an LPS tank here pretty soon as the sps are taking hits one by one. While trying to fix the params I'm letting the acros run their coarse and hope they bounce back before the disappear completely. I'm not pruning them down or anything to minimize the stress on them.

In regards to the fish... any idea what caused their demise?

I know you have put a lot of time, effort, and money into your tank so maybe instead of stepping away you just change things up a bit. If for some reason it is difficult to maintain a certain type of coral then just cut your loss and go with what works well in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with the reboot. If you have been in the hobby for a length of time we have all gone through it. My only comment is alk will change the fastest. Chances are if alk was dropping so was cal and mag but the change is so small with calk and mag. You said u had a lot of colonies this means your demand was increasing as corals got bigger. Maybe your calcium reactor was not large enough to keep up with demand anymore? I don't recall the exact number but let's say your alk was normally 8 and your calcium was normally 424. If your alk dropped to 6 from demand calcium would still show safenumber range around 400. Just a quick example I didn't look up exact numbers. You also said you were very busy and injuries. Did u miss water changes during those months? Did you have an orp reading from when the tank was doing great and what it was when the corals were not doing well anymore?
did u run the calcium reactor with a ph probe for on and off? If so how often did u calibrate the ph probe in the calcium reactor. If less then once a month that could have caused the reactor to stop keeping up also. if the ph was really higher then the probe thought in the reactor then no media will be melting in the reactor. So it would be doing nothing.

Anyway sounds like the damage is done. Sorry about your loss. As I said we all go through it. I will do my best to help with replacement corals when u are ready.

Roger

Good luck with the reboot. If you have been in the hobby for a length of time we have all gone through it. My only comment is alk will change the fastest. Chances are if alk was dropping so was cal and mag but the change is so small with calk and mag. You said u had a lot of colonies this means your demand was increasing as corals got bigger. Maybe your calcium reactor was not large enough to keep up with demand anymore? I don't recall the exact number but let's say your alk was normally 8 and your calcium was normally 424. If your alk dropped to 6 from demand calcium would still show safenumber range around 400. Just a quick example I didn't look up exact numbers. You also said you were very busy and injuries. Did u miss water changes during those months? Did you have an orp reading from when the tank was doing great and what it was when the corals were not doing well anymore?
did u run the calcium reactor with a ph probe for on and off? If so how often did u calibrate the ph probe in the calcium reactor. If less then once a month that could have caused the reactor to stop keeping up also. if the ph was really higher then the probe thought in the reactor then no media will be melting in the reactor. So it would be doing nothing.

Anyway sounds like the damage is done. Sorry about your loss. As I said we all go through it. I will do my best to help with replacement corals when u are ready.

Roger
If I remember correctly the reactor is sized correctly for the tank, I dont remember the exact model right now. It would make sense if calcium and alkalinity were being used, and the alk just being consumed faster. But the calcium would always just be right at 460 give or take a few points, but never really got lower, even in a safe zone just always hovered right around 460 even with the alk drops, tried fine tunning the reactor and just really couldn't seem to make any progress with the alk other then dosing to try and keep up. I did miss a few water changes here and there :( I do not have an ORP readings. I havent had an ORP hooked up on this controller. I was runing a PH probe for the reactor and was/am calibrating every month with a PH calibration solution. For a long time I was calibrating 7 and 10. Then decided to switch to 4 and 7 since the reactor PH runs lower usually. Probe is also only 6 months old give or take. Yeah unfortunately the damage is done. :( just trying to save what I can and honeslty really looking forward to the Reboot of the tank. I just cant understand why anything i frag dies within 2-3 days. I know stress has a lot to do with it. But for instance, I had one last big acro colony. I pulled it out and cut out the dead pieces and the hair algea 2 days ago, placed it into the frag tank and the RTN is already set in pretty bad. Makes me insanely scared to move me last few large monti colonies over. I dont know if its the way im cutting, stress, or what..... A lot of why im cutting is hair algae... and those god forsaken blue clove polyps which absolutely took over the tank. so im trying to cut off anything that has the blue clove polyps on them and taking out all the rock to back so I dont have this evil stuff in the tank when it gets rebooted. So really trying to determine how to save these monti colonies. :(

I would look over the tank really well for any rust from a magnet or a screw. Just so u know the rating of a calcium reactor means very little. It's more about demand. A lot of colonies will consume a lot very quickly. The imbalance is odd to me. Did u check the all with multiple test kits? Either way as u said damage done. I would look over the tank for any rust or other possible things like that.

Did u add a type of gfo or anything recently. To much to fast can cause problems like this too. Just a thought

Back