Looking for a larger sump

savvybuckeye7

I'm in the process of putting together a 300 gallon deep dimension tank and need a larger sump. Let me know what you have! I'm willing to buy or trade for corals...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the 300DD club!

Cool that you found one, last I heard Marineland stop making them.

I used an 80 Gallon Deep Blue Professional non reef ready tank. (non euro braced)

Picked it up at Creative Aquarium years ago.

I simply partitioned it off. I wanted half of it to be a nice large 40 gallon Refugium and the other half to be large enough to accommodate any size Skimmer I wanted. I chose the Reef Octopous 5000INT with two 2.5 inch neck extenders to create more bubble contact time. Which technically brought it up to a SRO 6000 INT?

If you are looking for and SPS corals, I have about 41 species of Acropora - all higher end.

Mostly WWC named specimens. :thumbsup:

Got to know those folks pretty well over there.

You will not find any AEFW in my system.

You are welcome to come check out my tank anytime for some idea's. Just send me a PM.

Good Luck with the build.

Looking forwarding to subscribing to your build thread if you choose to make one.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 300DD club!

Cool that you found one, last I heard Marineland stop making them.

I used an 80 Gallon Deep Blue Professional non reef ready tank. (non euro braced)

Picked it up at Creative Aquarium years ago.

I simply partitioned it off. I wanted half of it to be a nice large 40 gallon Refugium and the other half to be large enough to accommodate any size Skimmer I wanted. I chose the Reef Octopous 5000INT with two 2.5 inch neck extenders to create more bubble contact time. Which technically brought it up to a SRO 6000 INT?

If you are looking for and SPS corals, I have about 41 species of Acropora - all higher end.

Mostly WWC named specimens. :thumbsup:

Got to know those folks pretty well over there.

You will not find any AEFW in my system.

You are welcome to come check out my tank anytime for some idea's. Just send me a PM.

Good Luck with the build.

Looking forwarding to subscribing to your build thread if you choose to make one.

Yea it's funny that's exactly what I was planning on doing if I didn't find a sump that fit my needs, heres my plan with the deep blue
f40cbd3c3fdd964c6cc9b946f2cbbf4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That will work, however I don't use filter socks.

Cleaning those darn things or replacing them every few days just isn't practical to my quality of life. Again, I truly believe they are developed by the same evil people who make scratchy inner collar tags found in shirts and sweaters.

The 8 inches of filter socks I don't have which allowed me to both increase my refugium area another 8 inches which probably equates to 15 more gallons making a close total of 40. And my skimmer area. Allowing a wider body skimmer and fit in control floats, Tunze ATO and Neptune Apex 4 probe holder.

If you are running a big display, you want your refugium as large as possible to have more influence on nutrient export.

I have water pumped into the refugium and it trickle back into the return, but the way I have it I controlled the flow so the trickle doesn't create bubbles which will be sucked by the return causing micro bubbles in the display.

Again if you are time, come down and visit. I will also show you how I plumbed. I have a true "herby style drain" with nice big SCH 80 gate valves.

I used the drain and return holes on each side as both drains, so total of 4 drains which allows me to pump in more water to the display for a higher turn over rate. More potential skimmer contact time and suspended particle extraction.

The reason I prefer 10 inch wide body skimmers is simply because of bubble contact time.

You can get a space saver skimmer but you are taking real estate away from bubbles sticking your pump in the base.

The traditional skimmer design with the pump on the exterior is also easier to access if there is a problem.

My preferred skimmer would be an external skimmer, but I don't have the space. They just look cool to me.

I have a custom sump that just came out of my 300dd. I can send you pictures and measurements. PM me your number and I'll try to get it done asap.

Back