Looking for expertise on adding new fish

phishman1

46 gallon bowfront on a shoe string budget so to speak. Live rock and live sand, really good light, 2 hang on filters, aquaclear, and penguin bio wheel, and a power head for water movement.

Started with a yellow tail damsel though I knew it might be a risk. Water cycled out and has been perfect for about three months now. Added lots of soft corals and all have done great except a clove polyp which for some reason stopped responding.

Added two clown fish along with the damsel and all was doing great. Then I introduced a Royal Gramma and unfortunately within a few hours the Damsel injured it so badly it died in two days, ripped fins, tail etc. The Damsel is no longer in the tank.

Then the LFS owner felt bad and gave me a replacement gramma which was very nice of him, its doing well but only seems to hide in the rocks, only been in the tank for 3 days now so maybe that's normal?

Last night one of my clowns jumped out of an opening in the tank, didn't think they would do that but learned a harsh lesson there, fixed the opening today and got a replacement clown and both have stayed together all day though the Gramma still hides. Clean up crew all doing well, etc.

My question is this: I am looking for probably two more absolutely easy gong peaceful, colorful fish to add next. I actually thought about just making this a coral only tank at one point but changed my mind.

I've looked up and found some fish but thought I'd ask you all for your opinions, since it looks like most of you looking at your bios have been doing this successfully for a while now

Thank you

Jim

You need to get the damsel out if you want to add new fish. You may even have trouble with the clowns aggression in a tank that size.

In my original post I clearly stated this:

Added two clown fish along with the damsel and all was doing great. Then I introduced a Royal Gramma and unfortunately within a few hours the Damsel injured it so badly it died in two days, ripped fins, tail etc. The Damsel is no longer in the tank.

You could try an Orchid Dottyback. They are a Damsel but the most peaceful of the species and very few people seem to have issues with them. I have one in my 65g tank with two Occ Clowns, a Lawnmower Blennie, Sixline Wrasse and Yellow Tang and everyone gets on famously.

Blennies are all peaceful and the Bicolour Blennie is quite colourful. I have one of them in my 130g tank and he is a good community fish. Lawnmower Blennies are great fish but not that colourful. I have one in each tank myself.

Other colourful options are Wrasses. I'd love to get a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse which are very colourful but I have never seen one here in Sydney. Another Wrasse that I see recommended often is a Carpenter Wrasse. I believe both are very peaceful and fairly easy to keep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I AM HAVING THE WORST LUCK AND NOW AM COMPLETELY FRUSTRATED. Got a royal gramma to replace the one the damsel killed, all it did was hide in the rocks after being out the first day, 3 days of hiding and today I see one of the crabs dragging something out or the rocks, yup, the gramma, DEAD!!!! Comes with one of my two clowns jumping out of the tank the other day as well and replacing that yesterday. All seems well there, both getting along fine. Though eating isn't coming along as well as I had hoped, though I only put in in tank yesterday. Just tested water and all is perfect, parameter wise so no clue why it died? It was hiding in crevice of rocks, maybe got stuck and died or do crabs attack and eat a sleeping fish it can reach? Thinking of just getting two green chromis to go the the clowns and call it a day. Just get more coral instead of fish. This hobby is great but damn sure can be frustrating as well.

Gramma's death may have not had any to do with your tank, or with the LFS. In my maintenance business there have been a few times over the years when I've QTed a group of the same species, distributed them among several systems and had them all die with in a few weeks of each other, once over 5-6 months after being placed. And for what it's worth one of the longest I've had a fish dissappear after being introduced was a Royal Gramma that hid for around 3 months before showing up.

It sounds like you're not doing any QT though. I would encourage you to do so if possible. It saves some of the frustration of having to deal with a disease or parasite in your diisplay that kills repeatedly or wipes out everything.

46 gallon bowfront on a shoe string budget so to speak. Live rock and live sand, really good light, 2 hang on filters, aquaclear, and penguin bio wheel, and a power head for water movement.

Started with a yellow tail damsel though I knew it might be a risk. Water cycled out and has been perfect for about three months now. Added lots of soft corals and all have done great except a clove polyp which for some reason stopped responding.

Then the LFS owner felt bad and gave me a replacement gramma which was very nice of him, its doing well but only seems to hide in the rocks, only been in the tank for 3 days now so maybe that's normal?

Last night one of my clowns jumped out of an opening in the tank, didn't think they would do that but learned a harsh lesson there, fixed the opening today and got a replacement clown and both have stayed together all day though the Gramma still hides. Clean up crew all doing well, etc.

My question is this: I am looking for probably two more absolutely easy gong peaceful, colorful fish to add next. I actually thought about just making this a coral only tank at one point but changed my mind.

I've looked up and found some fish but thought I'd ask you all for your opinions, since it looks like most of you looking at your bios have been doing this successfully for a while now

Thank you

Jim

damsel good job

Back