Looking for Lighting recommendations and opinions

Clowning_Around

75G 48in Long FO tank.

Currently has standard single T5 that was included with the Aqueon tank. I have an actnic bulb on it atm.

Im not a fan of the overhead suspended light boxes, so I know that rules out a good bit. Im just looking for a little more punch. And something with a little more control on the coloration anf intensity.

Not knowing any different my first inclination would be something like this:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/48-Remote-Con...3A2a11173715e0aca469222454fffddc2e%7Ciid%3A13

Im open to your feedback.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Honestly you have all the possibilities if you didn't have to care about any corals. For a littlebit more punch, just look at some blue leds in the fixture you decide in a range of 450-470 nm~ besides that, check if you fishes have any request, but I doubt....:) for light I would recommend to go check some lfs out if they have some to show. Cheap lights over eBay might don't make you happy. Just think about the fact that 144 leds cost 44 $, incl. the power supply...? You get what you pay for...

Good luck.
Nicolas

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

For a fish-only, I would just get a 48" T5 light strip from Home Depot and put a pair of T5s in it. The fish won't care, it is only for you. These will last a few years and then get another one for $15-20... these are not long term but will be better than cheap LEDs from China.

For a fish-only, I would just get a 48" T5 light strip from Home Depot and put a pair of T5s in it. The fish won't care, it is only for you. These will last a few years and then get another one for $15-20... these are not long term but will be better than cheap LEDs from China.
hmm im assuming a diy of this will make or for in my existing housing? I do like the idea of being able to run two bulbs, one white and one actnic. Downside is not being able to dimm it without changing the bulb if desired...

If it means shelling out s few more bucks i may opt to hold out, I'm all to familar with the you get what you pay for mentality...

If it's for a fish only tank, the fish don't care. It's more about what you want. So why do you want more 'punch'? Is it just not as bright in the tank as you would like? The led fixture you linked to will do just fine. Or any t5 fixture.

But that led fixture uses 0.5 watt leds and they will struggle badly to keep corals alive.

I understand the budget issue, I was there when I started 12 years ago. So what is it you intend to keep in the tank?

If it's for a fish only tank, the fish don't care. It's more about what you want. So why do you want more 'punch'? Is it just not as bright in the tank as you would like? The led fixture you linked to will do just fine. Or any t5 fixture.

But that led fixture uses 0.5 watt leds and they will struggle badly to keep corals alive.

I understand the budget issue, I was there when I started 12 years ago. So what is it you intend to keep in the tank?
I have no intention of any corals, just not my thing. I however love marine fish and invertebrates. If I ever change my mind then a I'll probably do a new system at that point.

Currently my single T5 when running a white bulb is fairly bright on its own but is lacking in nice coloration, things are a bit washed out. When I run the actnic blue, the colors are closer to my liking but very muted, moreso than I'd like to have. Hence my comment about punch /intensity and controlability.

I get this change is not required for the fish, the DT is in my living room and it is about my liking. I want to take advantage of this flexibility given I dont currently or intend on having corals. I would like dimming option for times I want to scale it back but not completely turn it off such as a movie viewing in the same room.

Your reasoning is solid and that fixture should work well for what you want and keep your fish perfectly happy as well.

The fact that it has twice as many white leds as blue leds makes it terrible for coral, but that's not an issue for your requirements.

Good luck.

Back