Looking for nano setup?

Spiralinglotus1

Does anyone have a nano setup for sale? I'm looking for something around a 2-3 gal. If not can anyone point me in the right direction for some good equipment for a nano system (lights, filtration, etc)

Thanks!

If you are trying to go that small a fluval spec iii is pretty nice. It is a aio and if you want to do a reef you will have to upgrade the light and maybe return pump For lighting many people on another site rave about nano box lights. They have a Facebook page and are custom built for nanos. I may have a evolve nano but I can't remember if it is a 4 or 8 gallon

Oh man, I totally forgot to send you a PM about a light. Are you still thinking about putting a light together?

Thanks for the info steelers, let me know about that evolve. I was thinking either the fluval spec or marineland has a similar model but with nicer lines. Either way both of the light that come with them are not good at all. Crazy it's all good, I'm definitely still interested to see what I can put together though.

So wait, are you looking for a tank also? Since the light that comes with a fluval isn't going to work for you, you may aswell pickup a deep blue cube, they sell 8x8, 10x10 and 12x12. You could either run an HOB or if you wanted to make it an AIO tank like the Fluval it would be easy to do.

I work at a pet store that sells the fluval/marineland so I can get a pretty good deal on them but I'll check out those deep blues

Oh well, if you can get a good deal on a Fluval or Marineland I'd just go with that, then either mod the light it comes with or build one.

The fluval comes with a nice light panel but the spec isn't good and only whites. The marineland is a bar light but has no output at all. I'd probably be better off just making one. Did those lights you make have 2 channels?

The 1st light I made was a 4 channel light, so was the 2nd and 3rd one. The last light I made for 2.2g was a single channel light with 1 neutral white, 3 royal blues and 1 lime. If I was going to do it again and a single channel light I would either have 1 more white or 1 less blue. I'd probably do 2 neutral whites, 3 royal blue and 1 lime.

What'd you use 4 channels for? I enjoy the "night light" setting so it'd be sweet to have 2 channels (day/night). How much more involved is another channel?

They were all controlled with Typhon drivers. Adding a second driver wouldn't be difficult, it would just add cost not only in the additional driver but in the sense that you'd need more LEDs to meet the minimum voltage of each driver. But just having a 2 channel light over a single channel light makes life so much easier. Ideally you'd want each channel on it's on channel, it just gets pricey.

Would it be more cost effective to have 2 lights lol it's for my desk so the budget for the project isn't huge but at the same time I'd like a functioning reef. How pricey does it get? Close to the nano box price range?

God no, Dave does make amazing lights though. For a real nice 4 channel light, with heatsink, drivers, controller, LEDs etc etc etc you'd probably be looking at around $150 - $200. I only spent $60 on my light but it was a single channel light and I didnt have to buy a heatsink. You can buy the nanobox pucks (same LEDs used in his fixtures) for $55 each, and they're 13 LEDs and 4 channels. You could always run them as 2 channel lights if you wanted to, actually you could even run them as a 1 channel light with the right driver.

[Mod Edit: Post Removed - If you're listing an item for sale it needs to be priced. Please reference the sticky at the top of the forum. You are welcome to relist your item with a price. - RC Moderating Team]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am modifying the led from the fluval spec and am just waiting on the 3-3watt led from Steve's LEDs. In total the mod will run about $20 It will not be dimable and will only be 9 watts but should be more than enough for a 2.6 gallon tank. I will post a picture when it is all complete

Back