Looking for ongoing advice.

tidepoolinkansas

I have benefited for years from the information at Reef Central but I never became a member. Now I need more personalized help. The wealth of information available here is overwhelming. In an effort to simplify things for myself I am in search of a few mentors. Like most newbies I need a few “been there, done that” guys to consult with before making key decisions. I’m currently in the final stages of planning and accumulating equipment so soon it will be time to actually start the building process.

So, if you or someone you know wouldn’t mind sharing your reefing thoughts and experiences with a relative newbie please reach out to me. I don’t have any specific questions at the moment but would like to establish contacts with few fellow reefers before I do.

I am especially interest in finding a mentor in the Kansas City area, I’m in Topeka.

Goal: 180 gallon LPS dominated Reef Tank

Experience: 8 years in reefing then 10 years out and then back into reefing 3 years ago

Current Tank(s): 30 year old 70 gallon Oceanic tank in the process of being replaced by a “newer” 70 gallon Oceanic. This will become a FOWLR.

Primary Equipment: Varios 8 (circulation), Varios 8 (closed loop), Varios 6 (UV), Hybrid Lighting with 4 AI Primes, 2 - 6125 Tunze powerheads, 40 gallon sump, DC skimmer, roller mat, 20 gallon refugium, 40 watt UV, 40 gallon ATO and 20 gallon kalkwasser (switch?), and a 180 gallon, dual overflow, acrylic tank

Last edited:
Welcome! :)

There's been a huge amount learned about microbial stuff and the carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus cycles on reefs. Here's some links you to peruse at your convinence.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)
Maintenance of Coral Reef Health

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching
Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching / Curr. Biol., May 21, 2020 (Vol. 30, Issue 13)

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome
Aquabiomics: DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"
What's up with phosphate? by Richard Ross | MACNA 2014

15 Answers
How 15 Answers Changed the Way I Look at My Tank Forever! 10 Months of Biome Cycling 12 Aquariums.

Before using a Varios 6 make sure the flow matches the UV.
As far as I know there is no way (except by measuring) to tell flow rates when changing speeds.

Welcome to Reef Central. We are here to help. Ask your questions. We have many experienced aquarists who are happy to assist you.
Welcome to Reef Central. We are here to help. Ask your questions. We have many experienced aquarists who are happy to assist you.
Welcome! :)

There's been a huge amount learned about microbial stuff and the carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus cycles on reefs. Here's some links you to peruse at your convinence.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)
Maintenance of Coral Reef Health

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching
Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching / Curr. Biol., May 21, 2020 (Vol. 30, Issue 13)

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome
Aquabiomics: DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"
What's up with phosphate? by Richard Ross | MACNA 2014

15 Answers
How 15 Answers Changed the Way I Look at My Tank Forever! 10 Months of Biome Cycling 12 Aquariums.
I'm doing fine in regards to the biological aspects of reef systems (20 years of teaching high school bio). My most immediate need is in regards to plumbing particularly were to place the 6 pump returns. With a variety of flow rates (closed loop, UV, circulation, powerheads) and two corner overflows I like to use some form of reasoning or logic for return placement. Examples are pretty basic and seldom involves more than four returns. I plan on having 6 pump returns and two powerheads for flow in the 180.

Personally I'd keep plumbing to and from the sump as simple as possible. Sump/refugiums don't need high flow rates through them and slower flow rates reduce the need for large pumps and the associated heat load. (I like two small pumps for rdundacny.) Another reason I see for keeping the drain and return simple is depending on the corals purchased and which corals grow faster being able to easily change flow in a system can be helpful. Using power heads or wave makers usually are much easier to move then rigid or semi-rigid plumbing.

Back