Low Impact Wild Fish?

Ira

Hey All,

Just wondering if there are resources out there that I can use to determine if a wild caught fish I may be intersted in buying is collected in a responsible manner and comes from a species that collection has a low impact on.

I know I have read that certian species are lower impact than other due to higher rates of reproduction and reaching sexual maturity quicker than other organisms, I just really dont know where to check to see if a species I am interested in buying is classified that way.

I am also interested in knowing if there is any way to ensure fish were collected responsibily. I know this is a crap shoot, but are there any known areas where fish are collected responsibily so that I could stick to species only from that area?

I plan on buying captive bred fish whenever possible, but that makes my options pretty limited at this point, espically when I am getting ready to go to a bigger tank. I like dottybacks and clowns a bunch, but know better than to pack too many of them into a tank.

Also, what ever happened to the tank reared (larval captured) tangs and what not that I remember form about 10 years ago? Is this practice still done or not?

Thanks,

Ira

I think the Hawaiians have some harvest numbers pretty much nailed down...
Yellow tangs come to mind....

I'm also thinking "some" of the Caribbean species are more or less stable/sustainable ... I'm not 100% sure where I saw this so I'll leave it there

Edited to add: I'm 100% certain you can harvest all the Caribbean lionfish you want
he he he

If you want to be 100% certain, buy aquacultured :)

There are various organizations that "certify" proper collection. Anything collected in US waters (by law) should be collected in a sustainable manner.

For imported fish, it becomes much trickier. Some do, some say they do, and some don't... depends on the collector/distributor/etc. Talk to your LFS; they should have done their research on their distributors, and can give you some info.

On the plus side, most reef fish have extraordinarily high fecundity, and can tolerate much more fishing pressure than larger predatory species (this does not negate the need for proper management.)

Kudos for buying sustainable

The Philippines come to mind, they have a reputation of using cyanide to make the fish easier to catch.

Typically if you find a LFS that has better stock, and more expensive prices, they are using an importer / wholesaler that supplies properly caught fish.

Back