low PH solutions?

AngelandNathan

Hello all,
We have a 65 gallon mixed reef tank with a 20l sump. It is stocked with 5 small fish and a wide variety of corals. Its been running for over a year and most of the livestock is from our biocube we had before.
The Ph level has always been low but I have noticed since switching from our MH/LED combo light to LED (radions) our ph hangs a little lower now. Originally it would drift from 7.8-8.1 throughout the day and now seems to hang between 7.7-7.9.
I understand stability is the name of the game, all other params are rock solid.
salinity- 1.025
DKH-8
Cal-400-420
Mag-1300
Nitrate-0
Phosphate-.02
Now without dosing anything not even kalk. these levels do not change between water changes. I almost never put any 2 part in but when needed I use ESV additives. With the initial tank transfer we had more coral and did use kalkwasser in the top off water but have lost or given away enough that it is not needed anymore. I know that has a part to play in this too.
My question is at 7.7-7.9 will my livestock suffer or will I have problems with coral color, animal mortality etc.?
Everything I have researched indicates I should shoot for a higher ph but don't know what direction to take if I try to get there.
Thanks for reading and any advice you may have!!

While I try not to chase ph. Can you run a longer tube for your skimmer air intake and run it to fresh/outdoor air?
Cheers! Mark

Yep, the same problem, just run fresh air line outside to skimmer, or run reactor w c02 absorbing media, works but its expensive and one more thing to change

I had a brs reactor lying around, so I built a co2 scrubber. I observed an average .3 bump in ph and it uses about $1 in media a week.

I tried running an airline outside, in my instance it had to be about 15' long and I saw no difference in ph.

I know this does not agree with everyone's experience, just sharing mine. As always, ymmv

kalkwasser is another option(mrs. Wages Pickling lime, nice and cheap). I think on the "other" reef site, randy and some others came up with a new formula that boosts ph even more then the original mix.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I have tried chaeto before with no success but this is a newer tank.
I might be able to run a hose outside if the wife doesn't catch me with a drill in my hand.
I will do some searching on the kalkwasser again, I just worry about overdosing when there's not much demand.
I have LOTS of extra BRS media reactors so that one peaked my interest.
Thanks for the great ideas!

Isn't the ocean average 7.9 to 8.1 ?

Depends on which oceans. Some are way much higher.
We gather fish and coral that are located in a wide range of salinity levels.
But your point still is valid.

It doesn't matter. I have seen people destroy tanks because they chase their pH. They turn a non-problem to a major headache.

Running an air hose from the outside does not necessarily help all the time.
Some days, the Co2 level is higher than on other days from the outside air.

The best days are after a cold front hits, that air coming from the north has a bigger impact on pH than a normal day.
The scrubber works very well, but it is no longer cheap. It was like $44 for a 5-gallon pail. It is over $150 now.

If you could keep your pH at 8.19 to 8.20 for months.
That would be the swing of 0.01, wow sound crazy, doesn't it?

1) Would you have the fastest growing tank in the world?
2) Would you have fish so happy, that they started to talk to you?
3) Would you not need to do any maintenance to the tank?
4) Would you not worry about anything about your tank?
5) Would you have fun doing a project that maintains a swing at 0.01?
6) It doesn't matter, as long is always the same range and stable.

1-4 is No, and 5 and 6 is a Yes.

Now after saying all that, let me necro my old thread.
My old thread.

Back