Macro algae for a refugium . . same old question

Jorsan

I read several posts and books (yours is one of them) mention that calulerpa is not a good algae for a refugium, but wich one is the best option instead? . (My refugium will have just 1 inch deep sandbed so the seagrass is not an option here). Thanks

Agreed, my friend...

Let me suggest Chaetomorpha (AKA Spaghetti algae) or Gracilaria (AKA Ogo) as much better choices for algae in the refugium. Numerous aquarists share and enjoy these wonderful species. If you need/want to buy them... two of the many places to find them are IPSF.com and Inlandaquatics.com

With bright light and strong water flow these algae will grow well, fast and stable for you with far fewer concerns about noxious exudations than Caulerpa.

kindly,

Anthony

Anthony Calfo said:
With bright light and strong water flow these algae will grow well, fast and stable for you with far fewer concerns about noxious exudations than Caulerpa.
Anthony,

I'm currently using Sea Lettuce (Ulva) for nutrient export. Do I need to be concerned with noxious exudations?

Thanks in advance,
Bob D.

No worries Bob, Ulva is rather safe. Not quite as stable as Chaetomorpha, but generally quite fine and very attractive IMO.

Frankly, there are very few macroalgae that are anywhere even close to how noxious Caulerpa is. The potency of Caulerpa... particularly C. racemosa (grape)... is staggering.

My favorite mantra when aquarists ask for a marine plant or algae recommendation is... anything (!) but Caulpera!

Ironically, I will also agree that Caulerpa is still one of the very best vehicles for nutrient export in vegetable filters. It is just more labor intensive than most other alternatives (less stable, more noxious, etc). Aquarists with very strict aquarium husbandry will have little or no trouble with Caulerpa species. But it is not forgiving at all to lapses in care/harvest, and studies have implicated it directly impeding coral growth, among many undesriable traits. If nothing else, it is unnatural in a reef tank. Healthy wild reefs with stony coral do not have Caulerpa wrestling them :D

FWIW

Kindly,

Anthony

Anthony Calfo said:
No worries Bob, Ulva is rather safe. Not quite as stable as Chaetomorpha, but generally quite fine and very attractive IMO.
Anthony,

Ever heard of Ulva "going sexual"? Small parts of mine will occasionally get a little transparent, but that may be due to a lack of lighting. I've never seen it "crash".

Thanks again,
Bob D.

Cheers, Bob :)

Indeed... a lack of lighting... sometimes a lack of adequate water flow too. Rather like Gracilaria in that regard when compared to the oh-so-forgiving Chaetomorpha.

ID

ID

Can you recommend an online information source for IDing the various Calurpia? (other than grape :).)
Thank you,
JOhn Coffey............new book sounds more awesome than ever.

I'm unfamiliar with the negative aspects of culturing grape caulerpa in a refugium. What are they?
I'm just starting to grow the stuff, should I pull it out?

Cheers, John :)

Hmmm... bummer, I really don't know of a great online reference off hand- specifically for Caulerpa.

Really... the references that we use/cite most often are the Littlers' works (the best):

"Caribbean Reef Plants" (2000) (something like over 40 species of Caulerpa here alone...as I recall)

[no to be confused with their older (very good) but smaller "Marine Plants of the Caribbean (1989)]

They also have a new and exciting title "South Pacific Reef Plants" (2003)

all can be found at www.seachallengers.com

And thanks for the shared enthusiasm about my new book with Bob :D It is very exciting! But for all of Bob's wonderful images (and a handful of mine and others)... it has made the pdf/bindery process a real doozy :p About 1000 color pics... Doh! Not to mention our long-winded text/narratives on husbandry...Ha! Thankfully... we should be seeing the book within a month or two here.

Kind regards to all,

Anthony

Back