Macro Algae ID

miareefer

Hi guys
Ive got a red lettuce like macro that had turned up on a piece of live rock that ive had in my tank for well over a year. Its amazing to think that its been dormant for so long and has just grown almost a year since added to the tank.I recently upgraded my caulepra sump to 150 watt lighting to get my macro pumping and decided to put this very nice attractive red algae in the sump as well. I was blown away with the speed and growth of this thing its increased in size almost 400% in about 3 weeks .Whatever it is its the ultimate algae export its makes my serrulata look obselete.

Hey miareefer,

That is very interesting. I'm afraid I have no idea what it is. Do you test your nitrates and phosphates? if so, what are they? Perhaps you have discovered a very useful algae for algal filters. Can you post some more detailed pictures including how it is attached to the rock and the "texture" of the edges?

Good luck getting an ID,
Kevin

RED macro

RED macro

Kevin
Ill be away for a few days so ill have to update you with some better pics next week . Its attached to the rocks by a single strand about 5mm round .One thing i did notice was when it was in my tank it appeared to upset a few of the corals close to it eg bubble coral and a red open brain the didnt extend as much .On removal everything went back to normal.It seems to be a bit delicate and would tear very easy .My phosphates are undetectable and my nitrates are around 5ppm i dose Kents macro algae supplement every second week to give the macro something extra and supplement magnesium as well.
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Mia

miareefer,
I have had some of the same to come up on some of my LR. It soon brakes away since it is attached with a small bit of the plant. When it breaks aways it will soon just go away. At least, mine did. It was very pretty and slimey.

Back