Macro Algae ID? Similar to Caulerpa Racemosa. Wild from Australian Live Rock.

Here's are two more pictures (almost a year old) of the ones on the rear side of the rock. I don't know if there are two different things here, but the one definitely looks like Neomeris Sp. so I think I'm leaning back that way...
View attachment 32393893View attachment 32393892
The bottom pic definitely does not look like codium and does look like neomeris sp.
I am curious about the brownish macro on the right of the bottom pic, is that sargassum?

Sure looks like it, doesn’t it?
It does, and sargassum can be tricky to keep. Or at least I have never had success in keeping it, and I love it. If it is sargassum, I am wondering if there are any secrets to successfully keeping it?

It does, and sargassum can be tricky to keep. Or at least I have never had success in keeping it, and I love it. If it is sargassum, I am wondering if there are any secrets to successfully keeping it?
My KP rock had a bit of Sargassum when it arrived. It lasted a month or two at best so, my experience with it mirrors your’s.

Grew this from a small piece out of the rock. I know allot of people have issues with it but I never have and I do not know why i never had issues.
I never grew it under 100 percent led though and maybe that is the issue. Always run under halides or t-5.

Matter of fact that one spread and was cut down when I moved it to this aquarium.

upload_2019-3-4_13-31-59.png

Last edited:
Grew this from a small piece out of the rock. I know allot of people have issues with it but I never have and I do not know why i never had issues.
I never grew it under 100 percent led though and maybe that is the issue. Always run under halides or t-5.

Matter of fact that one spread and was cut down when I moved it to this aquarium.

View attachment 32393988
Well, you seem to have the touch!

Yes, I believe the brown algae is sargassum. Similar to what @shred5 was alluding to – I'm guessing most reef LEDs do not deliver the right spectrum for Sargassum growth. I sometimes run Samsung LM301b LEDs (plant lights) for weeks at a time. It doesn't seem to grow much when I only run reef lights.

I spotted that weird orange snail again. I got some pictures of the shell this time. I'm not certain it came on the rock. It could have hitchhiked with one of the corals, but I'm really not sure.
IMG_20231230_195540.jpg
IMG_20231230_195642.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_195614.jpg
    IMG_20231230_195614.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That's the only angle I've got for the snail.

Yes, very good rock. I ordered in two batches. The first batch arrived at my door less than 48 hours after it was pulled from the ocean, supposedly.

At least some of the life came as hitchhikers in the IPFS order that included sargassum. The orange snail may have come from there, too.

*Snail looks like maybe some type of conch now that I researched a bit. And I don't think Valonia Sp. on the algae (although I do have some of that). It's calcarous.

Here's a higher resolution zoomed picture.
View attachment 32393829
Although he hasn’t logged into RC in several months, let’s see is we can lure @pagojoe into this snail ID.

Loritina Sp. offspring are still doing well. They haven't become a snack for the unidentified conch, yet. I'd guess there are maybe thirty to fifty babies surviving - I can spot at least ten on the glass below.

They've grown a bit and their shells are starting to darken. They seem to prefer or require new growth algae. They also seem to be unable or unwilling to cross the silicone threshold between glass pannels, and the group pictured below is basically stranded to that one side. They crossed where the rock touches there.

I'm not certain they are Loritina. They could also be Stomatella or something else, but Loritina is my best guess.

PSX_20231231_130841.jpg

IMG_20231231_123050.jpg

IMG_20231231_123232.jpg

I bought some seagrass (shoal grass) online. Maybe I'll start a new thread when that comes in...

Loritina Sp. offspring are still doing well. They haven't become a snack for the unidentified conch, yet. I'd guess there are maybe thirty to fifty babies surviving - I can spot at least ten on the glass below.

They've grown a bit and their shells are starting to darken. They seem to prefer or require new growth algae. They also seem to be unable or unwilling to cross the silicone threshold between glass pannels, and the group pictured below is basically stranded to that one side. They crossed where the rock touches there.

I'm not certain they are Loritina. They could also be Stomatella or something else, but Loritina is my best guess.

View attachment 32394698
View attachment 32394699

View attachment 32394700

I bought some seagrass (shoal grass) online. Maybe I'll start a new thread when that comes in...
Thanks for sharing your experience with the sargassum.
Your snails are very interesting, and you must enjoy watching them. :)

The mystery snail has been identified! I'm stoked.

I emailed a marine biologist (Scott Johnson from Kwajalein Underwater Home/InDepth Images Kwajalein), and he responded almost immediately – below is his response.

That is certainly a species of spindle shell, family Fasciolariidae. It looks a lot like and probably is Peristernia reincarnata, although it is perhaps a tad more elongate than the variety found in the Marshall Islands (Peristernia reincarnata, Marshall Islands). Species of Peristernia are carnivores, tending to feed mainly on Sipunculans (peanut worms) and sand-dwelling tubeworms, although some also eat small snails. The sand in aquariums I have kept in the Marshalls have always become infested with numerous Sipunculans, probably from larvae brought in on live rock from the reef, so it may be that your snail has an adequate supply of food just under the sand.
20231211_223314-jpg.32393829

Okay, up next... Any guesses on this one? :)

I assume it is some type of pink branching calcarous algae, but maybe not? It has grown rapidly the past few weeks. I'm not sure what is trapping the bubbles as shown.
IMG_20240123_203734.jpg
IMG_20240123_203746.jpg

IMG_20240123_203756.jpg

No idea but very cool. Thanks for continuing to share pics of this amazing rock with us.

Looks like possibly Rhodopeltis sp. or even possibly Laurencia sp. Not calcareous though. Laurencia is a huge family though.
I had some or may still. Some of mine have got so over grown or just disappeared. I also had a dino outbreak in one of my Algae aquariums.

I got to say that is some impressive rock. What kind and from where? I have been looking for some that has different algae on it other than Caribbean varieties.

Last edited:
Looks like possibly Rhodopeltis sp. or even possibly Laurencia sp. Not calcareous though. Laurencia is a huge family though.
I had some or may still. Some of mine have got so over grown or just disappeared. I also had a dino outbreak in one of my Algae aquariums.

I go to say that is some impressive rock. What kind and from where? I have been looking for some that has different algae on it other than Caribbean varieties.
He mentioned upthread that it’s Australian.

He mentioned upthread that it’s Australian.

Yea I seen that. I believe that is the only country right now that actual live rock comes from but it can be from several areas and suppliers..
The rock can be so variable on how it is handled too. I am just wondering who he got it from and was there a type.

Fiji has some aquaculture Walt rock and then Florida Aquaculture to.

I am seeing rock starting to pop up from other areas again but not sure if it is actually real.

Last edited:
Back