Macro algae or mangroves?

pomme

Macro algae or mangroves?

I have been thinking of having a macro algae section in the sump to complement the skimmer.

But i was reading today in one of my books that mangroves can be just as good if not better then maro algae. I have heard many people saying that mangroves are no good at nutrient export. But i read that they need weeks to acclimatise to the aquariums conditions, 2-6 weeks, and then they dont have there full impact on water quality untill 3-6 months. So could it be people dont like them becuase they dont have an immdeiate impact on water quality. I can see a few advantages of mangroves over macro algae, in that it doesnt go sexual, ie caulerpa, and it doesnt need harvesting as much, ie caulerpa or chaetomorpha.

So what do you guys about both the macro algae and mangroves.

Andrew

In marine aquariums, dont ever only use one method. I think using both methods would work the best. However, for me, I felt calupra and that green stringy stuff, was best over all. But you will get many different answers from different people.

cool thanx, as the sump compartment i am thinking of is very large 20" by 20" i may divide this in two have have both macro algaes (more then 2 types) and then some mangroves in the other part :)

I have chaetomorpha(the green stringy stuff), and it works great, and wont go asexual. That would be your best choice for macros.

for me, the practicle thing about Mangroves is how will
they fit in the tank? since my lights are just above the water
and the leaves etc. will eventually be extended far above it
i'd have to have a separate light for the leaves etc. waaay
cool, but not practicle(sp)

elisabeth, i wass thinking of having them in the sump in the cabinet, so have around 40cm above the water level for them to grow. I have heard it is good to have them in a cabinet as it is more humid for them. also have heard you can grow them with just a single normal t8 tube for planted tropical tanks.

Everything I've read claims that the macro is better at removing the nutrients.

FWIW, I've been running a skimmerless system with a fuge packed full of 5 different kinds of macro for about a year. I use cyclopeeze every other day and never had a bit of nitrates.

Now that I've upgraded to a 75g and have more room, I'm going to attempt the mangroves in the fuge below. I will continue to use chaetomorpha in an overhead fuge though.

The leaves need sprayed with freshwater every couple of days to clear off the salt so I'm not sure if it's an easier solution.

Heck, mangroves are pretty, so why not figure out how to double them as a decorative houseplant? Run a line through a nice big planter tub and point a grow lamp at them! It would just be a sump auxilliary with it's own little pump and a float switch/overflow device. Water surface evap in the tub would create enough humidity for the mangroves. Look nice to one side of the tank!

I was thinking of trying something similair, not a big planter tub but maybe a couple in pots on each side of the stand. I got the idea when I saw a guy who had a 2'X2' planted acrylic tank next to his display. let me see if I can find that thread, the guy was pretty knowledgeable about the mangroves.

couldn't find that thread but I found the guy at reef aquarium guide. he goes by the name saltydog there, I'm not sure if it's the same saltydog here on rc or not.

heres his tank.
1619mini-DSCN0216.JPG

That's the setup I'm doing now!

That's the setup I'm doing now!

I'm setting up an outside mangrove filtration system...about 20 feet from the main tank inside the house. It is a 500 gal pond tank with 2 foot sides.
I'm have buried it in the ground to take advantage of the continious ground water temp of 72 degrees......so it should stay within 10 degrees of that all year around. (people in the north could make a green house over it).
I put 6 inches of concrete in the bottom to help keep the temp constant...and made some partioning with cement walls for separate areas, one for a fuge and the other for macros.
I am making a lid over the part of the tank with the skimmer in it...the rest will have access to the direct sun for 4 hrs in the morning and indirect sunlight for the rest of the day.

6' x 3'
|_______| Mangroves |
| | and |
| fuge | marsh grasses |
| | |
|_______|______________________|

I'm going to put the mangroves at the right end ...just out of the water as it would be at high tide...and the mash grasses will be to the left of that. I am making a tidal rise in the large section that will fill the right side every 6 hrs (double the normal tides).
Going to try and get the soil directly form the marshes and see what it does. Bring in all the crawlers too.

Fl Bob

No prob!

No prob!

There is no such thing as an environment with no contamination...at least in our line of play/work.

I know what you mean tho...but see no difference in what is going to float around at my house and the marshes a 1/4 mile away. LOL

But I am going to have a netting over the area to keep the leaves off.

FL Bob

I know thats true. :) GL

I wanted to do an outside mangrove that I was going to cover like a greenhouse but I'm afraid the heat will kill me in the summer. I wouldn't be able to bury it like you're doing.

Back