Macro-only light question - ZooMed vs GrowLux??

Critter!

Premium Member
My ref/sump is loaded with various Macro sp. and has been doing very well under 19 hours (10AM ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ 3 PM) of 2 - 40 watt, 48ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ florescent, ZooMed plant fish type bulbs (one ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œUltra-Sunââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ 65K and one ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œReef-Sunââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ 65K & 03 combo. During the 6 hours of lights off time the ref/sump is exposed to some natural sunlight. The ref/sump is a 70 gal 48ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ long. I harvest several pounds of caulerpa every two weeks by pulling the longest pieces from the top of the water surface as they grow and become ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œfloatersââ"šÂ¬Ã‚. No asexual activity in the ref/sump, but have had a few occurrences in the main tank (minimal amount of Macro in main). After my first three months of system set up have not had excessive micro or slime and have had about 9 months of a stable system since the start up period. I do not add iron and test at 0 iron and 0 phosphate via Hagen. (I am converting all my Hagen tests to Salifert as I use up the Hagen, as in the test kits I have switched over, Salifert offers greater sensitivity).

Ok now the question:
1) When it is time to replace the bulbs, are there downsides to going with standard ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œGrowLuxââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ type bulbsââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ as found at hardware and chain home stores such as Lowes? The Zoomeds are quite a bit more expensive than ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œGrowLUxââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ type.

2) Zoo Med is recommending 10,000 hours for the above described bulbs. What would be the appropriate replacement schedule of the standard ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œGrowLuxââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ type?

3) If I stick with Zoo Med I should go 100% Ultra-Sun 65K and drop the Combo bulb, RIGHT? Or do plants benefit from a little ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œ03ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚? Remember, no corals in the Ref/sump.

Thank you,
John
Dexter Michigan

Instead of Gro-lux, try GE "Sunlight" lamps from Walmart or HD, GE "Ultra Daylight", also from Walmart, or Sylvania or GE "Daylight Deluxe" from Lowes or HD. All will probably work as well as Gro-lux, and the Daylight Deluxe are about 1/3 the price.

Macro Lighting

Macro Lighting

It's been my experience that a combination of HAGEN Life-glo and Marine-glo is the best lighting source available. When kept fresh, any coraline algae present in your tank will soon cover everything. Caulerpa and other macros thrive on that combo of lights.Life-glo Marine-glo

Back