macros going sexual?

bigevill1

Big and Evil
what effect would macros going sexual have on a FOWLR tank? I have recently set up a refuge with feather culerpa, and was just wondering.

big E :
I have the same question maybe if we poll someone will answer us! ( I just added razor caulerpa to my sump . I have many questions)

The problem with Caulerpa going sexual is that the mass release of gametes often triggers a bacterial bloom that causes a significant drop in the tanks oxygen levels. That can be as much a problem in a FOWLR as in a reef set up.

And just how do you tell if Calerpa is going sexual? What causes this and how do you prevent it? I just added some to my new refugium and need one more worry to be fixed:):)

Keep it growing well and prune it back regularly. It typically gives no warning, just happens. Though events like sudden temp changes and water changes with differing salinity can also trigger it.

hmmm I think I have grape Calerpa... and here I thought it was cool that I got a free macro growing in my main tank!

Looks like he will be comming out tonight heh.

Although I cannot take the rock out to scrub it, the rock is 55lbs and a pistol shrimp has made his home under it.

Maybe I will scrub it in the tank... we will see, but for sure it is being pulled out!

Back