Mag 24 Pump Noise

travis010

I'm working on getting everything plumbed for a 300g deep dimension and am using a Pondmaster Mag 24 for my return pump. I've had the pump going for a couple of days now and it seems unusually loud. I have Mag 9 and Mag 12 pumps and they make a humming noise but nothing compared to this Mag 24 pump.

I think there are three distinct noises I hear when the pump is on.
--The first is the comparable hum to the smaller Mag pumps.
--The second is definitely vibration from the pump. Lifting it off of the floor of the sump helps with this but there is enough vibration that you can still feel it in some of the return pvc plumbing. The pump is connected to the return plumbing via a 1 foot length of flexible hose.
-- The third is a buzzing sound - similar to when there's air getting into the pump input. I know it's not air as the pump is fully submerged and it makes this sound regardless if the pump has been running for a minute or an hour.

I knew the pump would be louder than the Mag 9 and 12 but definitely didn't expect it to be like this. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with the Mag 24 and if this level of noise is considered "normal" or if there may be something wrong with the pump I have. I did take it apart and check the impeller and shaft and they seem to be in good condition with no debris inside of the pump.

If this is considered "normal" for this pump, then I would appreciate suggestions for a quieter pump of comparable strength as this is definitely too loud for my taste.

Thanks for the help!

I ran one a couple years ago and I did have to "fiddle" with it to get just right. As I remember, I used a silicon hose (large diameter) from the pump to the first fitting (approx 18 inches). But I also remember that I ended up suspending the pump in the sump using 4 30 lb test fishing lines (yes, sounds goofy, but it worked). Funny but the panworld I run today is way louder and I am ok with it .... I think I am just getting older and can't hear as good!!

Anyway, there are some things that you can do to get to that sweet spot. Just play with it and you will most likely get some good suggestions here.

I have the exact same pump and its the loudest part of my tank by far.

Going to swap it out with a waveline 1200 any day.

Yes, they're loud right out of the box. The only submersible pump I've used which was more noisy is the MagDrive 36. Heat transfer is fairly high for the two as well. Thankfully there are much better choices for return pumps available today.

Go to Walmart and pick up a silicone dish dry mat, probably 2-3 dollars, cut a piece and place it under the pump. that should dampen the humming

Give it a few days to break in and build up a slime coat. It will quiet down some, but will likely still be noisy. Laguna 2400 is a good alternative. 2400 gph @ 85 watts and silent. Mine only pulls 64 watts.

Give it a few days to break in and build up a slime coat. It will quiet down some, but will likely still be noisy. Laguna 2400 is a good alternative. 2400 gph @ 85 watts and silent. Mine only pulls 64 watts.

Agreed. And I do have a nib laguna if you'd like one. Pm if interested.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up getting the Laugna 2400 from Russ (Thanks Russ!). It is amazingly quiet, especially compared to the Mag 24. You truly can't tell the difference between when it is on and when it is off.

I'm new to the Mag24 as well and I stumbled across this thread because I just searched for "mag 24 pondmaster pump making noise".

The pump is unexpectedly loud. I also began by taking it apart to make sure there was nothing wrong with the shaft or assembly. I'm actually relieved to read that this appears to be normal operation.

I lined the bottom of my sump underneath the pump with 1" hose cut to the width of the chamber. It didn't cut back on the noise but I feel better about the pump not sitting on the glass. It also bucks like a bronco when it first fires up.

I got mine from Walmart for $140. Didn't have a whole lot of options in that price range that could handle the 15' of head.

After my turtle pond pump bit the dust, I moved the Laguna 2400 I got from Russ over to the turtle pond (it was working great and continues to work great) and replaced it with the Fluval Sea SP6 pump. It's very similar to the Laguna pump with a different case design and a bit more powerful. It has been working very well for me as is virtually silent.

I think the max head height for the SP6 is 4 meters so it might be a good alternative to look at if you end up ditching the Mag24.

Back