mag 5, does it have to be submerged

I don't believe the mag 5 needs to be submerged, I think it can be run external. However, you won't get much return with any head pressure from a 5. For a closed loop I'd think more in terms of a mag 7, minimum, even for a 16 gallon.

Russ

Following along here. I saw an add for Mag pumps that included a note saying: "Mag Drive pumps are not recommended for saltwater aquarium external use." Is there a heat issue or is this just a disclaimer in case it fails?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6495346#post6495346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chip721
Following along here. I saw an add for Mag pumps that included a note saying: "Mag Drive pumps are not recommended for saltwater aquarium external use." Is there a heat issue or is this just a disclaimer in case it fails?

Could you send me a link to that please? There is no such cavaet in my Mag7 instructions, and Dr Foster and Smith says they're fine:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4590&N=2004+113041

I think leakage is the biggest worry. I have a mag 7 but used in the sump.

dastratt, I saw it in Marine Depot's 2006 Catalog. Maybe I'll have to call them to ask why. Chip

it's just a disclaimer, i have used mag pumps externally for years and never had a problem. i would give danner a call and ask them to be sure. good luck.

dave.:smokin:

The smallest models aren't good for external use because of their intake configuration, but the bigger models are fine. I've been running one dry for over three years with no leaking....it's literally silent. They're fine water pumps.

No leaks here. Not out of the pump anyway :) The housing has an o ring seal. You do have to seal it back up right following (normal periodic) cleaning of the impellor assembly. Typical I'd say.

I also have been running a mag 5 on my 45 gallon reef tank for @ a year as an external closed loop pump with no problems and it's silent. One thing I had to find out the hard way is that if you use those SQUID wavemakers for alternating current the more water you pump thru them the faster they switch sides e.i. mag 7 takes about 5 seconds to switch sides even with 4 feet of head pressure!

I tried a Mag 5 externally in a closed loop and it worked just fine but it sounded like a small truck in my dining room. I have since moved it into my sump where it is nice and quiet. I would like to try a closed loop again but I need to fine a quieter pump.

Back