Mag And Sps

It looks like a substrate you use instead of sand. This is not something you put in a calcium reactor.

Interesting thinking. Seems to me that it would do the trick if it worked.

Really cool idea! Keep us informed.

You can add Dolomite or Calcium Magnesium Carbonate CaMg(CO3)2 to your Calcium Carbonate CaCO3 media in your reactor. It dissolves at a similar pH as the typical calcium media used in reactors. I usually mix the media at a 1 part dolomite to 3 parts ARM in my reactor. I have used this method with top off supplementation once weekly for the past three years. The reactor method isn't as effective at raising magnesium levels as bolus addition, but it does significantly slow the rate of loss in a heavily stocked aquarium. It also keeps you from testing your aquarium every day trying to maintain a rapidly fluctuating essential element.

I THINK I AM GOING TO TRY IT. IT IS A SAND SO IT SHOULD TURN IT INTO MUD AS IT DISOLVES. BUT ALSO AS IT TURNS TO MUD IT SHOULD HOLD CO2 IN THE REACTOR LONGER AND INCREASE THE PERFORMANCE OF THE REACTOR. IS THIS A SOUND THOUGHT OR NOT.

Re: Mag And Sps

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9865840#post9865840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acroman76
MY SPS TANK USES ALOT OF MAG.

Your tank should not be using an more magnesium than your reactor puts back in. Do you do water changes? HIo, have you checked the mag levels of your new salt water? If you are doing water changes and the make up water has the proper levels of magnesium you should not have to add it to your tank, ever.

I find it interesting the amount of interest magnesium has generated. Was it not only about 3-4 years back we could not even test for this???

While it may very well be a part of the overall equation, have we really seen improvements in the quality of life in our tanks since we somehow realized the importance magnesium?

I think we have always been able to test at least for the last 7 years or so.

I think that a few years ago, a lot of the salt manufactures started using less mag in their salt mix. So reefers had to start paying more attention. I know that years ago when I used to use IO, a never had problems with magnesium levels. Then I started getting IO buckets that had low levels of magnesium. I called IO, and they started that they did not do anything to their product. But low and behold other people were seeing the same thing. That is the point when I started paying more attention to mag levels in my tank. Now it seems that most salt mixes have less magnesium to. :(

Re: Re: Mag And Sps

Re: Re: Mag And Sps

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9868295#post9868295 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JB NY
Your tank should not be using an more magnesium than your reactor puts back in. Do you do water changes? HIo, have you checked the mag levels of your new salt water? If you are doing water changes and the make up water has the proper levels of magnesium you should not have to add it to your tank, ever.

Unless you are using alot of kalk/lime.

7 years - oh how the time passes.

Makes me think about my magnesium levels, the fact I have never checked them or supplemented them. At the same time I do not do water changes.............hmmm

Joe - are there any visual indicators when you find to your mg is low? How often do you test for it? Thanks.

I use mag chips in my CaRx. They dont dissolve fast enough to raise your mag if its low, but they should maintain your mag. Ive been instructed to have about 10% of media as mag chips. Im not sure if its dolomite or ca mag carbonate though. I would be interested to know :).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9868863#post9868863 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 250G
Joe - are there any visual indicators when you find to your mg is low? How often do you test for it? Thanks.

No real visual indicators. But once your mag is in check it seems that it is so much easier to keep your alk and cal balanced.

In my tank once my magnesium levels were correct I would only test every month or two. But what I did do was test the level in each new bucket of salt I had and adjust the levels of the water being used for a water change. That way my tank levels would not go out of wack from doing water changes.

Last edited:
I DO USE KALK, AND I DO WEEKLY WATER CHANGES . 15 GALLONS A WEEK ON 135 TANK. 160 TOTAL WATER VOLUME. I HAVE KNOW CLUE WHERE THE MAG IS GOING

CAL 400 TO 425 ALK 8-9 AND THIS IS ALL THE TIME. TEMP 78-79, MAG JUMPS AROUND 1250-1350 BUT WANT TO KEEP MAG AT 1350 ALL THE TIME, OR AS CLOSE AS I CAN

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9869738#post9869738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acroman76
AND I DO WEEKLY WATER CHANGES . 15 GALLONS A WEEK ON 135 TANK. 160 TOTAL WATER VOLUME. I HAVE KNOW CLUE WHERE THE MAG IS GOING

It's going from your water changes. Have you tested the mag of your freshly mixed SW?

Please turn off CAPS if you can?

Back