Magflake for sale

raynist

Just received a 50lb bag. I have one other person that wants some. Please email me if you are interested in any. Total cost was $37. Would like to split it at least 5 ways.

Email rnist@adelphia.net if interested.

Thanks
Ray

YUp guys... take some... as this will last RAY and I forever....

Ray.... I will just grab my portion at the meeting I guess.

so- I need to get the calcium and the alk suppiments to go withthe magnesium. What type of calc and alk do you put with the mag flakes? or does it matter?

You will need baked baking soda and a bag of dowflake or peladow (prestone driveway heat). You can also use Kent Turbo (but it is somewhat more expensive).

You mix threee stock solutions and dose daily.

Bean

wow- I thing I have both of these products in my home/garage. Ray i will take a few pounds as well. Please let me know if you will be at the next metting and how much for 2 pounds.

I have not opened the bag yet so I will bring it to the meeting and we can divide it up.

It looks like there are 5 of us interested, so we can each take 10lbs. That should last us a year or more. I think it was something like $37 or $38 to get this shipped to my house, so if we each take 10lbs figure $7.50 each.

--Ray

I do still have a brain, after attempting to 'get" this last nite I finally gave up. I obviously was getting the mag flake and the Dow flake mixed up and "got it" today.. Consider me in on the buy. Do you guys agree with not ever adding strontium? Thinking about buying a bunch of test kits as several of mine are low and was going to add Io, mg , and Strontium to the package with Ca, alk, ph . Good prices on Reefshow.com buyers club.

I am under hte impression that the trace elements are not that imortant and somewhat replinished with water changes.

It may be good to tesk for the most common ones, but that to may be overkill. After a lot of reading, it appears that many successful setups do not dose anything other than ALK and CAL. the reason we are dosing the MAG is becuse this DIY recipe will cause a MAG deficiencey. Other balanced alk/cal systems may or may not.

It appears to me that you can do a lot more harm than good very easily if you dose Iodine and strontium, etc. Steve or Adam may want to say something here, as my experience is somewhat limited with regards to these suppliments and I can only form opinions on what I have read.

Bean

Does anyone have a small measuring scale they could bring to the meeting so we can divy this magflake up evenly?

--Ray

Ray,
I have one that goes to 6#....I could also bring a stack of very large ziplocks if needed.

Maybe bust it up into 5# bags full?

Chuck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6944970#post6944970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ghumbee
Ray,
I have one that goes to 6#....I could also bring a stack of very large ziplocks if needed.

Maybe bust it up into 5# bags full?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Are you still bringing the scale and bags?

Thanks
Ray

Yep.....
I have 10 Giant Ziplocks--Should easily hold 5# Each bag

Scale goes to about 6# so it should work perfectly for measuring out the 5# bags. I'll also try and remember to bring an old plastic measuring cup to dig out of the big bag.

I will be bringing zip locks of DOW Flakes 77- 80% Calcium. Pre-measured for 1 gallon mix. ( 2 1/2 Cups each bag ) in case anyone is interested.

Chuck

Chuck where did you find the dowflake?

I looked all over (even the walmart ray got his from) and could only find peladow and ESV flake. The ESV had a lot of stuff in it after I mixed it. I have dosed it anyway, but tried to decant off all the junk.

Bill

Sorry to hop onto your board, but may I ask if you found it local or did you order it online. If ordered, from where? I don't feel to bad on your board, I grew up nearby.

Beananimal, when summer comes check out the pool supply places, that is where I can get dowflake down here.

I found it a local concrete supplier, but am to lazy to drive downtown and pick it up. They also don't always carry "dowflake", but whatever Calcium Chloride is cheapest.

I will be trying the peladow for the next batch.

Bean

Back