magnesium

jwill275

I have a 125 that I dose with ESV two part for Cal and Alk. My Alk is around 9dkh and my calcium is 420-450. Ph is 8.1-8.4 and my Magnesium is 1140. I use the Sailfert test kit and I also dose in top off a couple of tbl of Seachem Mag buffer. I'm having a hard time increasing my mag number. I dosed with about 4 tbl Wednesday morning with my top off water (2-3 gal) and tested Wed night and my number was still the same as monday night.

Any help is appreciated.

You would need approximately 118 tsps of Mg to raise your Mg 100ppm.

It takes a lot of Mg supplement to raise Mg, but very little to maintain it.

What salt do you use?

TMRP is good salt. It reportedly tests at 1380 Mg. You must be consuming at a faster rate than water changes are keeping up with.

How much dry Mg supplement do you have?

I would get a bag of the DIY stuff from BRS. The gallon size for $9.99. Dose about 70 oz over the course of a couple of days. That’ll get you in the 1350ppm range. You’ll have about 50 Oz left over to maintain. I think that’s your cheapest best bet. If you have money to burn you’ll need 1246grms (250tsps) of the Seachem.

They are so hard to find thats the only problem. I wish I saw a 50lb bag of magnesium chloride it would last forever.

Back