Make sure to secure your ATO line

Webmanny

Hey guys,

This is just a reminder for everyone to make sure their ATO line to the sump is not lower than the water level in your ATO reserviour and also that it is secured in place. The reason for this reminder is because today I woke up to alarms from my APEX, which has a second float switch, which sets off an alarm, shuts down the skimmer and the reactors, if the water level in the sump goes above a certain point.

What caused this issue? The line from my ATO to the sump fell from its holder and ended up almost at the water line inside the sump. This would normally not be an issue until the ATO gets a low level signal and starts pumping fresh water to make up for evaporation, at that point the laws of gravity were enforced and about 4 gallons of water from the ATO made it to the sump until both where at the same level.

What made matters worse, was that as the ATO emptied water into the sump, the float valve opened and allowed more water to come in from the RODI, which I left running by mistake. I normally close the supply line to the RODI once I am done making water, but yesterday I forgot.

Lucky for me the alarm went off at 4:20am and I woke up and stopped the bleeding. Unfortunately, the damage is done and there is little I can do now, but wait for the evaporation to take place and the salinity to come back up slowly.

I checked salinity before I left the house and the salinity was at 1.022, which is not horrible, but not good either. I will keep you guys posted on results, but wanted to share my mistake with everyone so that you guys can avoid it. Not a fun start to your day to wake up to this, but it could have been worse.

I would have removed water back to the proper level and added salt. Less damaging than long term low salinity.
Sorry ths happened but we all do these sorts of things.

This happened to me a few months ago. Unfortunately I don't have an alarm and my salinity went down to 1.019.. Took forever for me to everything back where I wanted it. First thing I bought after that happened was a leak alarm.

I would have removed water back to the proper level and added salt. Less damaging than long term low salinity.
Sorry ths happened but we all do these sorts of things.

you don't think that this may shock the corals? I've read somewhere that in small tanks like mine, if you bring the salinity up too fast, it may impact the stuff in the tank.

I have also seen that people just throw salt into the filter sock to let things come back up, but that scares me a bit.

I understand your concern
It is ultimately what you are comfortable doing. It has only been low a short time. At 4:20 you could have done it all at once. Now I would do it a little slower but what is worse in your mind? Very low salinity or putting salt in your sock? I think you have an apex right? Watch your ph mainly that it doesn't spike too much while you are adding. If it goes up .1 stop until it settles. I am not sure how tank size matters just take it slow.

got it. makes sense. I'll start corrective measures once I get home tonight. I also got a recommendation from Joe to place a fan blowing right at the surface of the water to accelerate evaporation.

If it were me - and I've said this before - I would switch over to a peristaltic pump to handle the top off needs you may have. My recommendation would be the avast marine:
http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/ato-kit

or the BRS 50 ml per minute pump:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-top-off-doser-50-ml-per-minute-1.html
(you'll need to get a new switch too / level monitor to handle turning it on and off)

or even better: http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-O...op-Off-System-UPLC-II-Liquid-Level-Controller

No worries about back-siphon. No worries about sump water levels / reservoir water levels. When it's off - it's off. No additional water flow. Yes - they vary in expense and are more expensive than your current solution - but the return on investment is there to prevent accidents like these and for peace of mind.

I'm personally using the Avast one on my 150 - and have the top off going into a kalk stirrer

If it were me - and I've said this before - I would switch over to a peristaltic pump to handle the top off needs you may have. My recommendation would be the avast marine:
http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/ato-kit

or the BRS 50 ml per minute pump:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-top-off-doser-50-ml-per-minute-1.html
(you'll need to get a new switch too / level monitor to handle turning it on and off)

or even better: http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-O...op-Off-System-UPLC-II-Liquid-Level-Controller

No worries about back-siphon. No worries about sump water levels / reservoir water levels. When it's off - it's off. No additional water flow. Yes - they vary in expense and are more expensive than your current solution - but the return on investment is there to prevent accidents like these and for peace of mind.

I'm personally using the Avast one on my 150 - and have the top off going into a kalk stirrer

Very good points. However, I hate how slow these pumps are and how much noise they make, but they are much safer than what I am using now. I may consider moving to one of these. I know Roger even uses these for constant automated water changes and he is happy with it. I may need to check into it.

Thank you guys for all your recommendations.

got it. makes sense. I'll start corrective measures once I get home tonight. I also got a recommendation from Joe to place a fan blowing right at the surface of the water to accelerate evaporation.

You will accelerate evaporation but you can also cool your tank quite a bit. Evaporative cooling can be surprisingly efficient on smaller tanks so be sure to keep on eye on your water temp.

You will accelerate evaporation but you can also cool your tank quite a bit. Evaporative cooling can be surprisingly efficient on smaller tanks so be sure to keep on eye on your water temp.

Understood. I will make sure the heater can keep up with the cooling the fan may bring. Thank you for the reminder.

Very good points. However, I hate how slow these pumps are and how much noise they make, but they are much safer than what I am using now. I may consider moving to one of these. I know Roger even uses these for constant automated water changes and he is happy with it. I may need to check into it.

Thank you guys for all your recommendations.

The pumps that come with the pressure sensor method (looks like a clear tube with an open end): you dont need a fast pump to restore the water level - at most you'll be pumping for a minute or two.

I've used spectrapure and like I said I use the avast now. Neither make any appreciable noise that I can hear over my return pumps.

A quick update. When I got home yesterday a few of the corals (Hammer, Frogspawn and Octospawn) were not happy at all. I started replacing some of the water with higher salinity water in small amounts every 30 minutes or so to bring salinity up. I finally got from 1.021 to 1.025 at around 11:00pm. I will check if I need to do some more water changes tonight when I get home. I also brought some water from home to stop by the LFS close to the office over lunch. Just to be 100% sure that my refractometer is calibrated properly.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will keep you posted.

Back