Mangrove/mud refugium question

neuroslicer

Old School Reefer
Recent changes: with the added SPS from Cody's tank, I wanted to make some improvements to my system. First I've added a DIY denitrator. That will take a couple months to age to where it will start reducing NO3 levels. Next, I upgraded my skimmer to an AquaC Urchin Pro, and can't believe the difference compared to my old Sea Clone. The old sump is a bit crowded with the new skimmer, so I'm making a new, bigger sump with a refugium chamber.

So the question: I'm thinking about making a mud/mangrove refugium. Any suggestions for the best plants/algae? Caulerpa has been suggested. And do I add sand sediment (the same as the tank)? What's the "mud"? Thanks.
Jay

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CS0526

IMD%5C150%5CCS0526.jpg

It will be interesting to get folks opinion about this. I have spoken to some people who absolutely swear by the stuff and others who think it is snake oil. Also for what it's worth, I have heard that you really need quite a number of mangroves to export sufficient NO3. I am curious about what others have heard/experienced. I've used Caulerpa with success and it is readily avaliable around town.

What little research I've done now seems to suggest that Chaetomorpha causes fewer problems than Caulerpa, which tends to release spores that may bloom in the main tank. Any experience with such problems?

I agree...Chaeto is much less of a risk than Caulerpa. Ive never had the sexual issue with Caulerpa...but I have with Halimeda(very nasty). I always try to rid what Caulerpa I end up with though.

Back