Mangrove tank

New branches fully opened

And... What I believe is the beginning of the first prop root on my mangrove! I will update in a couple days, it seems to be growing pretty fast. Sorry that the pic isn't the best.

Chromis getting cleaned by skunk shrimp! It's their favorite thing to do!

I added some very nice pieces of live rock and rearranged some of my red macros

Black mangrove preparing to shed propagule leaves. Can also see the chromis getting cleaned in the water!

Full tank shot

You have a lot of macros and it looks like not a large bioload. Do you have to add any nutrient supplements to your system?

This is really cool. Im getting more and more interested in marine plants and macro algae and i really would like to add some to my mixed reef. Where did you get your macros?

Thanks 100%hydrophylic! The bioload is pretty sufficient for the tank! I only run a carbon filter, no skimmer or anything else. The macros do the heavy lifting. Let me throw up a list of what I have in here since I'm not sure if I have an up to date one on here.
Fish
2 large reef chromis
True Percula
Inverts
2 bonded skunk cleaner shrimp
2 bonded sexy anemone shrimp
1 badas* peppermint shrimp- this guy is a beast
Tons and tons of microfauna- 2 species of micro stars, amphipods, copepods, tube worms, etc. etc.
Plants/macroalgae
2 Red mangroves
1 Black mangrove
Caulpera prolifera
Caulpera mexicana
Caulpera sertulariodes
Red grape Botryocladia
Bryothamnion
Cryptonemia?
a couple other red macros I'm not positive on id

I got all my macros from live-plants.com, they are awesome

i was thinking about ordering from live-plants.com and getting some mangroves from ebay. I was thinking about getting the red sampler and caulerpa sampler, and maybe a couple species i want specifically.

Are you happy with live-plants? Was the algae relatively pest free and healthy size clumps?

I was 100% satisfied, they were pest free, healthy, and very generously sized. I got the samplers, they give you a ton of algae.

i was thinking about ordering from live-plants.com and getting some mangroves from ebay. I was thinking about getting the red sampler and caulerpa sampler, and maybe a couple species i want specifically.

Are you happy with live-plants? Was the algae relatively pest free and healthy size clumps?

I'll send you some mangroves if you want. Have TONS in my backyard. Only reds though

I use ro water, my tap water has too many solutes. I use ro water to top off the tank so there's plenty to put in my water mister

I have done some extensive bonsai wiring to my bigger red mangrove. You can see in these pics that I have bent and wired the branches on my mangrove in a way that will encourage the branches to grow downward instead of up.

And here is a picture of the newest addition to my mangrove collection: Bruguiera sexangula: the six angled orange mangrove

underwater shot. I've increased the flow in my tank and that has reduced the caulpera population and slowed it's growth, which is very helpful as far as maintenance goes.

My orange mangrove propagule has germinated! See the red bud sprouting out of the propagule? Leaves should be emerging soon!

Your tank looks great. I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank and have gotten some good ideas here. Where did you get the pots you used? and do you think the mud you planted them in is nessessary or would normal sand work?
thanks

Back