Mangrove tank

Thanks Michael!

Here's one of my orange mangroves that I have in my tank. I really like its shape it's taken on. It has actually sprouted a prop root.

Prop root

Here's a little clearer shot of the roots. There's actually one older prop root in the substrate and a younger one that is dropping

Sam, all your trees look great! Any long term plans for them? Like maybe a big, new tank? I imagine you're very busy with school right now. But of course I'm curious!

No long-term plans with them as of yet. I have considered getting a large tank and doing something interesting with them, but haven't really decided what direction I would want to go with it. I've considered a few things, like a mudskipper mangrove swamp or perhaps a mangrove to seagrass transition slope. But like you said, I'm pretty busy with grad school so that makes it difficult to put in the time to do something like that. Luckily the trees are still growing well and are healthy, and they are naturally slow growing so that gives me plenty of time to work with.

Right on. Makes sense. Keep it simple and keep 'em growing, then when you have more time, they'll be ready to rock whatever you come up with. Plus they'll have more roots!

No long-term plans with them as of yet. I have considered getting a large tank and doing something interesting with them, but haven't really decided what direction I would want to go with it. I've considered a few things, like a mudskipper mangrove swamp or perhaps a mangrove to seagrass transition slope. But like you said, I'm pretty busy with grad school so that makes it difficult to put in the time to do something like that. Luckily the trees are still growing well and are healthy, and they are naturally slow growing so that gives me plenty of time to work with.

Awesome looking mangroves, very impressive.

I do have a couple questions. Did you do anything to induce branching from the apical tip, or was that natural? Did you wait until natural branches formed, then started pruning back the new branches in order to make the canopy fill out?

I have several mangroves that I am
Acclimating and growing out, and currently have a healthy 4 months old 22" plant with a nice apical growth tip. But no branching. Should I continue to wait or would I induced branching if I cut this new apical bud back to the leaves?

Thanks for any insight!

98fa7c6b28983fd1465ab2c7076fa8aa.jpg

91e5a23e5427157f16cf587ca7545bbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back