Mantis ID

dwarfatize

Hi
Sorry I don't have a pic yet but I was looking at a mantis at my LFS. It was a greyish green. It was about 3 inches long but it was a smasher. any thoughts as to what it might be. I will try and get pics tomorrow.
Thanks

Three inches is actually fairly large for a Gonodactylus. There are only a few species that get this large. The grey-green is fairly typical of a female G. chiragra. If it came from the Indo-Pacific, that would be my guess.

Roy

It should be O.K. if the tank is stable and you really keep an eye on water quality. The biggest risk is a spike of ammonia and nitrite and longer term, nitrate. Remove uneaten food and molt skins and do partial water changes, and it should be fine. G. chiragra are really tough, low-intertidal animals that can take considerable abuse when it comes to temperature and salinity.

Roy

Hi,
Tank params are not a problem, because I have it plumbed to my reef. Now are they burrowing mantis or will they live in the rock. I have about a 2 inch sand bed. Will that be deep enough?
Thanks,
Dane

Hi,
Thanks for all the help Roy! I will have to see if he is still available in a couple of days so I can finish setting up my tank.
Thanks,
Dane

Back