mantis in a 1g tank?

brandonlai

Hey guys

i set up my 1 gallon tulip anemone tank and i wondered if i could do a mantis shrimp humanely in there...

just a question before i start looking for one

thanks
Brandon

Any mantis that only grows to 4" or less should be okay in a 5.5 gallon tank. Glass thickness might be a problem with some of the smashers, though...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7533415#post7533415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flusher
Any mantis that only grows to 4" or less should be okay in a 5.5 gallon tank. Glass thickness might be a problem with some of the smashers, though...

What mantis less than 4" can break the glass of a 5.5 gal tank?

5.5" glass? that's pretty thin.
A G. chiraga could, as could a smaller peacock.

As far as the 1 gallon tank, do NOT do it. I killed my beautiful little G. glabrous (And she was one of the most interactive mantis that I had seen, and I have 9/have had 11 at this point), keeing her in a 1/5, on hold for a larger tank. The salininty/other parameters have too much risk of tipping in something that small.

I have a small G. chiraga in a 5 hex, a 2.5" P. cilata in a hex 5, and 3 small ones in 6 gallon Eclipse. All are going to be moved to a multi-chambered 55 in the near future but you can do one in a 5.5, just stay away from G. chiraga.

-Ron

Thanks, I had no idea that a chiraga was that powerful. Nor would I imagine that anyone would keep a peacock in a 5.5gal tank.

ok thanks for everyones replies
i might get up a 6 gallon eclipse for a mantis
now if i could only get a hold of one...(hint hint) :D

I like to find Mantis shrimp in liverock holding tanks. At the lfs I work at, we have an emerald green mantis. Now if I could only catch it.

Back