Mantis Shocked

Carnivarious

I recently switched my mantis into a new smaller tank earlier today about 2-3 hours ago. He has been not moving (Except his flipper like things on the bottom <Forgot what they are called>) or reacting much to noises/bangs on the tank out of the three he moved one time. Is he dieing? What should i do? I also see no injuries on him.

Thanks in advance!

Did you do a standard acclimation procedure (ensuring slow acclimation to salinity [very important!], pH, temperature, etc)? If not, I'd measure and make sure that everything is A-OK with the new tank water. Invertebrates are particularly susceptable to osmotic shock (differences in salinity).

If you didn't acclimate there is a whole lot to do but pray. Leave it alone for now. Lights off, and make sure no one goes near the tank for 24hrs. Does he have a potential burrow in there? like LR or pvc?

He seems to be doing better. He is more responsive and becoming more active. He seems like he doesnt want to be bothered. He acts at times like he is blind, being careless in all running into thing (Not head on.) He is not intrested in food either it seems.

My mantis is doing the same exact thing! Does he/she suddenly dash about, then do a fetal position, then just stay where it lands for a loooong time?

Mine was drip acclimated a few days ago to a stable aquarium...if that helps? I'm doing the lights off thing too, and so far it's still alive. Not happy, but alive.

If a mantis is stressed out like you are describing Carnivarious, there are two possibilities off the top of my head a) it's gonna molt... let it be. b) its just stressed... let it be. A mantis can survive without food for a while, don't feed it for a couple of days (but don't starve the thing for two weeks).

Andromedia, sorry to say but i THINK that someone else had a mantis that was displaying the same behaviour but Dr. Roy said that that usually meant the mantis was about to die. So im not really sure what you can do but let it be, lights off, don't even look at it for a day or two. no feeding. If you do feed, soak the food in a supplement. Hope the mantis pulls through.

Cant say he is going into fetal posistion. Right now it looks like he is sleeping/resting. He is doing fine. Justinl, I think he is just stressed, he is actually alot better now and seems less freaked out and all. Only time can truly tell what will happen.

Back