mantis shrimp-->good or bad???

KlrWhale

I did think that mantis shrimp were irritating things, which are hard to get out of the tank and cause nothing but disruption. Coming here I see people loving theirs lol. So are these shrimps a nuisance or delight???
I found what looks to be a translucent colored shrimp like thing hiding in my rocks just yesterday after i added some more live sand from my local dealer. At the moment it is about an inch long but seems to be growing fast. I have managed to capture the shrimp (which seems to be hard when they get older) and put it in a little glass. Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m afraid to put it into my tank because id rather my snails and other fish to die. What do mantis shrimps look like when young and small?? Any help and/or pics maybe online would be grateful.

Without a photo or more complete description, it is hard to tell if you have a mantis shrimp. The most diagnostic traits are the large raptorial appendages folded up under the head and the eyes mounted on movable, rotating stalks.

At any rate, most stomatopods are relatively slow growing. Of the species that are likely to be in live sand or rock, an inch long animal would take at least a year to double in size and it will be two to three years before it is much of a threat to anything but the smallest snails and fish.

Roy

Mantis-good or bad ?

Mantis-good or bad ?

I have three mantis in my reef tank. I have never in the past three years seen them do any harm. They are from the Medditeranean waters and not from the Pacific. I have handled many with my bare hands and not been hurt. they do snap quite hard but have never broken the skin. If I put frozen pieces of shrimp in my hand, he or she will come out and eat right out of my hand. I do not know if the Pacific species is this gentle, but I do know for a fact that the Mediterannean species is quite docile. I have handled 100's of these creatures in my liverock business with out any of the horror stories happening that I've read on the web. "Ron of Triton" AKA. "liverocks.com"

Mantis bad or good? (ERROR UPDATE)

I'm sorry people, I made a mistake on where the Mantis shrimp I was talking about was from: "MINE ARE FROM THE CARRIBEAN"
Sorry bout that, "Ron of Triton" AKA. "liverocks.com"

I'm sorry people, I made a mistake on where the Mantis shrimp I was talking about was from: "MINE ARE FROM THE CARRIBEAN"
Sorry bout that, "Ron of Triton" AKA. "liverocks.com":bum:

LOL! Yes one man's garbage.... They are definately fascinating little creatures worthy of their own tanks.

robthorn Pistols are equally fascinating. They move an amazing amount of sand around under your rocks so they need to be stable

11103pistol-vi.jpg

Back