March 2015 Tank of the Month!!!

Elliott congratulations. I have a much smaller tank (75G) lit with 2 AI SOL Blues. While some SPS do well others bleach and die. Would you mind sharing your settings and any tips for operating these lights? I've toyed with upgrading to Hydra52's because of the full spectrum lighting but your tank renews my hope that these lights will work with SPS. Thanks for your help.

thanks crs751

I can assure you your Ai sol blues will work just fine with SPS coral, my intensity settings are 40% white and 85% blue, I run a 10 hr photo period that includes 30 minutes ramping up and down on both ends. Par measurements average 100-130 on the sand bed (not including 15% upward adjustment for LEDs). Light fixtures are 10" above the water line, tank is 3 ft deep.

I believe the difficulties most people have with LEDs, especially bleaching, are due to excessive intensities, in part due to the efficient focal properties of the lenses.

Each time I have attempted to increase intensities my corals have suffered, so I've stopped trying. I believe the blue wavelengths are most important.

Simply amazing from the display tank to the extensive automation. He needs to win the award for King of automation. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Hi Elliott, my congratulations from Panama beautiful and healthy tank.
Can you tell me where I can get mor information about the AI SOl LEDS lights ?

Regards
Fernando Chang
Panama (central america)

Congratulations - fantastic reef!
Love the freezer/auto feeder - sheer genious!

Thats quite the masterpiece you have there, one question. Is it hard to catch fish in QT since its quite large?

thanks danielmitchell !

I have an egg crate cut to the width of the tank, remove the rocks on one side, scare the target fish over to that side using a net, then drop in the egg crate, then move the egg crate closer to the side wall which traps the fish in a small space, making it easy to catch

Elliott,

Congrats on an awesome tank and what you provide to the community here on Reef Central. Well deserved honors!!

Back