March 2015 Tank of the Month!!!

Elliott, Who is your CP source. Looking for someone that I can rely on being a quality product and not contaminated.

I'm moving to a larger tank this summer but plan to keep my existing 240g in place for a while to medicate my 30+ fish who have had a low grade crypto infection. I'm taking my coral out and running on my new tanks separate system. Hopefully once I treat and quaranteen for another 8-12 weeks all will be good.

sounds like a good plan Mike

I've used fishchemicaldotcom for years without a problem. A chemist on this forum recently tested their CP by spectral analysis and confirmed its pure

Elliott,

Thanks so much for the info on the scratch removal process. Also, thanks for the suggestion regarding my bull nose tank. I have been pondering that one as it could be real easy to create high and low spots.

RB

First off very nice tank. It shows a great deal of planning and intricate thought and the result is a great looking tank.

I am curious as to how you match the skimmer ATO with saltwater and evap ATO with fresh water. Could you explain this? From most setups I am familiar with their is only one point where the water level fluctuates leaving only one place for a float controller. How do you isolate these two events to replace saltwater for the wet skim and freshwater for the evap? Thanks a bunch

Elliott,

Thanks so much for the info on the scratch removal process. Also, thanks for the suggestion regarding my bull nose tank. I have been pondering that one as it could be real easy to create high and low spots.

RB

my pleasure!
First off very nice tank. It shows a great deal of planning and intricate thought and the result is a great looking tank.

I am curious as to how you match the skimmer ATO with saltwater and evap ATO with fresh water. Could you explain this? From most setups I am familiar with their is only one point where the water level fluctuates leaving only one place for a float controller. How do you isolate these two events to replace saltwater for the wet skim and freshwater for the evap? Thanks a bunch

thanks so much animalkingdom! Ok, I read you 2nd post, all good! :)

This System is Off the Hook.

The niceset I've ever seen/read about.

Congratulations!!

I appreciate your kind words MidwesternTexan, thank you! :D

finally at last !! been waiting for you well deserved talk soon

thank you so much hedgedrew, I really appreciate it! :beer:

I'm looking forward to your "ocean":thumbsup: reef build

Congrats the tank is amazing

thanks ssc, much appreciated

this tank is very beautiful I congratulate the people who owns it

many thanks artisson62 !
Holy Cow! The density and variety of life in it is just amazing.
49.gif
113.gif

much appreciated zxfgg! thank you :)

Absolutely gorgeous, I'm beside myself...

Quick question about your wet skimming/constant water changes. What method are you using to get an exact 1:1 ratio of water skimmed out to new seawater replaced? Meaning, how do you get an exact volume replacement of the water the skimmer is overflowing out? And how do you compensate and calculate for the salinity increasing due to evaporation if there is constant tank water exported from the system?

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous, I'm beside myself...

Quick question about your wet skimming/constant water changes. What method are you using to get an exact 1:1 ratio of water skimmed out to new seawater replaced? Meaning, how do you get an exact volume replacement of the water the skimmer is overflowing out? And how do you compensate and calculate for the salinity increasing due to evaporation if there is constant tank water exported from the system?

thank you Reefermadnessny, greatly appreciated!

so, as skimmate is removed from the system a float switch is activated in the sump which replaces the lost volume from a fresh sea water reservoir, so not much change in salinity occurs from that exchange

the evaporative loss is replaced by RO/DI, as an estimate, which in my system is about 10 gallons per day, in divided doses throughout the day, this needs to be adjusted periodically to correct deviated salinity readings, however it has rarely required adjustments, maybe once a year

thank you Reefermadnessny, greatly appreciated!

so, as skimmate is removed from the system a float switch is activated in the sump which replaces the lost volume from a fresh sea water reservoir, so not much change in salinity occurs from that exchange

the evaporative loss is replaced by RO/DI, as an estimate, which in my system is about 10 gallons per day, in divided doses throughout the day, this needs to be adjusted periodically to correct deviated salinity readings, however it has rarely required adjustments, maybe once a year

Ahhh, I see okay. I was looking to do a similar method in my much much smaller system but I think I would run into much more problems with the salinity. In a 1600gal. system, your margin for error is much higher. I'm trying to find a creative way to do this...perhaps a pinpoint salinity probe that can auto activate a top off pump?

Ahhh, I see okay. I was looking to do a similar method in my much much smaller system but I think I would run into much more problems with the salinity. In a 1600gal. system, your margin for error is much higher. I'm trying to find a creative way to do this...perhaps a pinpoint salinity probe that can auto activate a top off pump?

if your tank is sitting in an temperature controlled environment then your evaporate rate will remain fairly constant, so replacing evaporate loss can be done reliably using a fixed volume per day

then set your skimmer to produce more skimmate volume, connect a float switch in your sump to a sea water reservoir to replenish the lost sump volume caused by the increased skimmate

this should work in any size tank, providing there are no wide swings in air temperature/humidity that would change the evaporate rate

salinity probes are notoriously inaccurate, I use mine as a guide but it fluctuates a lot, even though the actual salinity stays stable, so I would not use a probe for this purpose

Wow...

Wow...

Haven't been surfing here lately, been travelling too much.

Sir, your tank leaves me speechless. As an engineering manager and a long-time gearhead and controls engineer, I've seen things here that are just, well, ingenious, especially the fish feeder.

I'm used to using VFD's but on three-phase power. I assume these are single-phase 220V drives?

I've seen some really beautiful tanks here and am fortunate to live near someone who has a large tank and has been a wealth of knowledge for me, so I'm sure that the people in your locality look to you as a serious asset for knowledge.

Stunning tank. Ingenious equipment setup. Has given me some new ideas.

Well deserved accolades.

Best,

Kev

Last edited:
Congrats Elliott. It's a truly gorgeous tank and very inspiring.

thank you rt67ghy!

Seriously awesome tank.

much appreciated jacksoncm!

Haven't been surfing here lately, been travelling too much.

Sir, your tank leaves me speechless. As an engineering manager and a long-time gearhead and controls engineer, I've seen things here that are just, well, ingenious, especially the fish feeder.

I'm used to using VFD's but on three-phase power. I assume these are single-phase 220V drives?

I've seen some really beautiful tanks here and am fortunate to live near someone who has a large tank and has been a wealth of knowledge for me, so I'm sure that the people in your locality look to you as a serious asset for knowledge.

Stunning tank. Ingenious equipment setup. Has given me some new ideas.

Well deserved accolades.

Best,

Kev

thanks so much Kev, quite the compliment from a controls engineer manager! :thumbsup:

yes, the VFD's are 220v single phase :)

I just read through your post about your tank. Very inspiring. Beautiful! I'm wondering what the name of the coral or maybe its an invert is that is purple and has the picture of the clown hidden in it. Its beautiful!

Thanks!

Back