March TOTM Crashes!

Where's your proof?? I searched Ebay under "snipersps" found only 2 transactions
in September 05 (well before the TOTM), both had positive feedback!

SHOW ME YOUR PROOF!

how do you search past listings? Also I never said that the seller received negative feed back, I just stated *** my personal opinion*** that it was wrong to hike up prices due to having a totm

Also if you read up I asked WHO was selling I never stated who sold. I briefly saw this on ebay.

You talk about getting off topic yet you won't let it go

Well, like I said, IF THAT'S THE CASE.

Regardless, back to the topic at hand.... I'm sorry hugo lost his tank, I can't imagine going through that. Hope others can avoid such a loss in the event of power failure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7824438#post7824438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PelagicMagic
Yes I remember looking on ebay and seeing those auctions. I am not sure if it was him or another person selling his frags but it made me sick. If I knew how to search for past auctions on ebay I would post the link

What makes me sick is a guy loosing his reef like this! As someone who lost just a small reef to a fire I know how it feels. Its quite depressing. As far as getting $400 a frag ~ why would that make anyone sick? If someone is willing to pay the cash than more power to him! Quite frankly I would love to be able to get that kind of money for some of my frags ~ who would'nt?

ahh getting off topic again. And I am sorry for you loss too. It made me sick because before those frags were on tank of the month they were selling for much much much cheaper. Its not the price that got me but the fact that who ever was selling them was using the RC totom to raise prices. Almost like selling 10 dollar bags of ice after a hurricane

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7823495#post7823495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PelagicMagic
Who was ripping people off on ebay with 400 dollar frags after he became tank of the month? That made me sick after seeing ebay auctions that stated "as seen on the tank of the month on Reef Central"

And if you had any idea of what you were talking about you would have kept your mouth shut. Hugo didn't get $400 for that frag. He only got what exoticreefs paid him for it...prior to the auction.....and no body expected the frag to go that high. so how much do you think he really go paid for a frag that was expected to auction at what maybe 100-120....he probably got 40 bucks for that frag...

Well if I don't know what I am talking about then you can’t read. I said who ever was selling them was hiking up the prices. I never claimed that it was this hugo fellow. Furthermore I find you very rude. It’s a shame Reef Central is full of rude immature people with short fuses. Also David you should look up the definition of QUESTION, I asked a question David because I didn’t know the whole story. so how could I know what I am talking about?

I am done with this thread. I was talking about generators and asked a simple question that I admit was off topic but that seemed to upset all the short tempered reef central children. Actually I am not surprised

Last edited:
Maybe, I'm missing something here. I have read all the thread, and post's to this tank loss. Backup power or not ect ect ect. What saddens me, is mud flinging, should have, could have, would have. Fine..........Fore ME, I will be glad to send him frags, when he is ready. And leave it at that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7824965#post7824965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PelagicMagic
its not the price that got me but the fact that who ever was selling them was using the RC totom to raise prices. Almost like selling 10 dollar bags of ice after a hurricane

This analogy of yours is simply off-base. No-one is forced to by a coral at high prices. The need for ice during hurricane ~ can you see the difference here?

Sorry for getting of-topic again but lets try to post with a little class here. Hugo is suffering from a big loss. Why can't we all just show the guy some compassion.

Yes you are right and I am sorry for my rant. My analogy was off. I was thinking that if someone wanted that one species or type of coral they had to pay a high price because thats the only place you can get it from much like if you wanted Ice after a hurricane. Bad analogy .

All the best to Hugo for his loss.

I would imagine Hugo's shared corals with his local buddies and can probably get some of his corals back :) If he'd given me some I'd be the first to return the favor or If I had purchased any of his LE pieces I'd frag back just for the shipping.

As far as PelagicMagic's comments... I understand where he's coming from and I don't think he should be flamed for making the distinction. SniperSPS sells his frags all the time on at least one higher end LE frag site that I know of as well as offers the more in demand ones on ebay [IIRC the $300 pink lemonade frag was his] I think I read where he has plans for a store too... So it's clearly been a commercial enterprise for him.

If my LFS's display tank crashed I'd feel bad... but I don't think I'd be giving them any corals to rebuild, because they've never given me a thing... except poor advice :lol2:

On the other hand I can see where a lot of reefers might be willing to overlook the commercial aspect and focus on the human issue just to help cheer up a fellow reefer who's suffered a terrible loss :(

just my thoughts ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7818232#post7818232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by csb
Yeah, that was an amazing tank. Wow... that really sucks, but at the same time, his loss helps to solidify our resolve in the hobby to have an emergency power plan! This is very important and has been discussed at length, but don't overlook it for your own tank. Think about your investment ... likely several thousand dollars.

It doesn't have to be a generator, either! To protect my "several thousand dollars", I run my equipment with a Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS, aka, "battery backup unit") which cost about $75 at Best Buy. I also have a $50 power inverter in my vehicle which could in theory run my tank for days, as long as I wanted to keep my vehicle idling. My vehicle then becomes my backup generator.

So, for $125, I've got it covered... UPS for short power outages (up to 4 hours or so) and an inverter for longer outages.

Here's to snipersps and his tank - I HOPE HE STARTS AGAIN AND HAS AN EVEN BETTER TOTM THAN BEFORE!!!

Plus the 3+ bucks a gallon for the gas to power the vehicle... ;)

The only draw back I see to that is

WHAT if you need to go somewhere.....DOOOH

Or what if the extreme heat that caused the power outage caused your vehicle to overheat due to no air through the radiator...

I think for anyone that has thousands invested in a tank and does not have at least a 250.00 gas powered camping generator in the garage for emergencies is just CRAZY....

Thats like buying a FERRARI and not buying insurance...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7825438#post7825438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PUGroyale
I would imagine Hugo's shared corals with his local buddies and can probably get some of his corals back :) If he'd given me some I'd be the first to return the favor or If I had purchased any of his LE pieces I'd frag back just for the shipping.

As far as PelagicMagic's comments... I understand where he's coming from and I don't think he should be flamed for making the distinction. SniperSPS sells his frags all the time on at least one higher end LE frag site that I know of as well as offers the more in demand ones on ebay [IIRC the $300 pink lemonade frag was his] I think I read where he has plans for a store too... So it's clearly been a commercial enterprise for him.

If my LFS's display tank crashed I'd feel bad... but I don't think I'd be giving them any corals to rebuild, because they've never given me a thing... except poor advice :lol2:

On the other hand I can see where a lot of reefers might be willing to overlook the commercial aspect and focus on the human issue just to help cheer up a fellow reefer who's suffered a terrible loss :(

just my thoughts ;)

I think its case specific....Let me explain.

If my local LFS lost everything due to something out of his control, I would help him out in a heartbeat. The first time I met the guy he gave me a couple of shrooms just because he wanted to see if they colored up better under my vho than his halide. AWESOME GUY, Great ADVICE...

Now if the other farther away LFS I go to from time to time was to have the same situation happen, He would be **** out of luck...Why cause he is unfreindly, rude, and charges to much for everything.....

There is a difference.

I would hang myself ... no joke!

He should start a frag fund for people to send him frags ... someone with an ability to keep SPS like that deserves it!

I just want to point out to all those people saying if your power was out you'd go buy a generator... good luck finding one! I guarantee you if the power is expected to be out for 24 hours or more that generators at every store are gone within an hour.

Anyway, I'm sorry he lost so much and I hope the tank gets back on track to its former glory.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7825679#post7825679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef_bones
I think its case specific....

I agree entirely and I think Hugo at heart is a hobbiest... who's to blame him for selling frags from a mature collection of rare corals, I'd sell them too. There is a line though between hobbiest and enterprise and it's like you said... case specific. The mods and staff here have to make those distinctions all the time and I can't imagine it's very easy ;)

Who was ripping people off on ebay with 400 dollar frags after he became tank of the month? That made me sick after seeing ebay auctions that stated "as seen on the tank of the month on Reef Central"

WTH?????? What is wrong with you? So because he may have made a profit off all his hard work, you figure that it's ok that his tank crashed? Perhaps you think that all his original colonies were free, and so he shouldn't profit off of them? Maybe you think he was paying someone else to do all the hard work and research it takes to run a tank like that?

One of the best sps keepers I know makes a living off of his tank now, I am GLAD for him, and go to his store whenever I can.

If people are crazy enough to bid up to 400 bucks, more power to Snipersps.

Perhaps you are jealous?

Did he loose everything? I cant believe it all died, I bet it all looks like hell and nothing like it did in its glory, but I bet alot of things will come back, alot of dead rock I have gotten over the years all of a sudden came to life, after a year in a box and regrew sps heads, and flourished, I think we will hear from him again soon, and hope to see some pix of his come back tank of the year......

Back