Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion

Theronts Lifespan:
From Clorni & Burgess, 1997
"The theront's lifespan is less than 24 h for most isolates. Red Sea isolates may commonly survive 36 h and in a few cases, weak ciliary movements may be seen at up to 48 h."
I used 24 hours because even if they are still twitching, they can't infect any fish anymore. Perhaps I should have spelled that out.

Excystment Timing:
Yoshinaga & Dickerson were not the only ones to witness this pattern. Burgess and Matthews, 1994 "Cryotocaryon irritans (Ciliophora): photoperiod and transmission in marine fish" Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 74: 445-453. is also referenced in Colorni & Burgess, 1997 as proof of excystment in the dark.

Environmental Triggers:
I believe they are a more likely indicator of immune response. If all things are good, you will likely get a better immune response, and possibly not notice an infestation. I believe they definitely play a role, but you do need the parasite in the first place.

Hyposalinity:
I really don't have anything else to contribute at this time. Frankly, I had not even heard of this until a couple of days ago. I am currently tracking down my own references.

Steve,
You already know that I encouraged you in another thread here, but I hope you don't get the feeling that ATJ and I are picking at you. I enjoy getting into the details of this subject and there are not many people that I can discuss it with in any real depth. So when someone comes along that can hold this sort of conversation with me it is fun (maybe I am a nerd). I would be surprised if ATJ doesn't feel the same way. In reality, the attention you have received from ATJ and me is actually a form of compliment.
Take care,
Terry B

TerryB,
I have not taken offense or anything. I love to talk shop. My only regret is I did not have these discussions before the article came out. All in all though, I am still happy with it and glad it is out there and available.

Originally posted by TerryB
Terry,

TB: Gheez,
I didnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t want to come across as being too critical because I felt that the article was better than most that have appeared in the hobbyists magazines. I encouraged Steve in another post here. However, since the subject has been breached I will join in the conversation.

I am only raising these issues in an attempt to make the article even better than it already is.

TB: I only use the 28 or 30 day period as a time frame in which to keep the display tank without fish in order to starve the parasite out for lack of a host. I can understand why you would feel it is necessary to treat fish for 6 weeks by your thinking. However, when the aquarium is kept at 14ppt the tomonts will be destroyed (literally) so a longer time frame should not be necessary.

My comments and scenario directly relate to the section in the article on quarantining at normal salinity. Certainly, if you lower the salinity you have the potential to shorten the quarantine period, but if you don't, 28 days is potentially too short. If you go to the trouble of having a quarantine tank AND you have already kept new fish there for 4 weeks, what's an extra 2 weeks? What's an extra 4 weeks? It all becomes relative and it is a matter of weighing up the risks - probability of occurrence versus impact of occurrence - standard risk management.

Maybe you can enlighten me as to how a salinity of 14-16ppt could cause kidney failure to bony reef fish? A lower salinity in the surrounding ambient water that is closer (still somewhat higher) to that found in the internal fluids of the fish should actually require less effort by the kidneys while still allowing them to function in a normal manner.

I think you need to reread what I wrote. Here is is again:

"I agree in the kidney failure potential for stenohaline fish."

(I added the bolding.) I am not saying that kidney failure will occur for bony reef fish. I am saying that it could be a possibility for stenohaline fish.

I am not a fish physiologist - although I did study some marine physiology as part of my degree. I can't comment either way on whether kidney failure can occur in marine teleosts.

By definition, stenohaline organisms can only tolerate a very narrow range of salinity. Whether this limitation manifests itself in kidney failure, loss of salts, bloating or whatever when a marine stenohaline is moved to lower salinity (outside its range) I can't comment, but something will fail. Euryhaline organisms on the other hand (and again by definition) can tolerate a much wider range of salinity and so should have no problems adjusting and even surviving in hyposalinity.

My point to Steve was not whether kidney failure was or wasn't a potential problem, but that if it was, it should only be a problem for stenohaline fish. It has always been assumed that reef fish are stenohaline, but the research by Woo and Chung (1995) demonstrated that for at least one common aquarium species of reef fish, the assumption is incorrect.

It should be noted that the kidneys of marine teleosts are not responsible for the removal of sodium and chloride from the blood. These salts are actually removed by the gills - or at least special cells in the gills. The marine teleost kidney removes magnesium and sulphate. I don't know if this causes a potential for kidney failure or not.

Also note that the sodium concentration in the blood of elasmobranchs is also significantly lower than that of seawater and almost all elasmobranchs are stenohaline. They load up their blood with urea and TMAO to make it isosmotic with seawater. Despite this, there are a number of species of euryhaline elasmobranchs. So ionic concentrations of the blood shouldn't be used to determine if an organism is euryhaline or stenohaline.

I am also a bit concerned about the idea of there being more than one species of Cryptocaryon irritans, this has not been established. It is pretty well agreed upon that there is more than one strain of the parasite, but not enough differences between them to call them distinct species from one another.

I don't believe enough research has been done to make a comment either way. It has only just been determined that C. irritans does not belong in the same family as Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Wright and Colorni, 2002), so there is still plenty of room for further research.

You know, all this discussion between three "ich aficionadosââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ such as ourselves could be dangerous. The next thing you know, we will be critiquing all of each others articles. Then we wonââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t be able to write anything without consulting one another.

I only see this as a good thing, especially since the research is not our main occupations. (Professional scientists can get quite competitive when there is money or patents involved and a number I know who used to be close colleagues of each other are now sworn enemies.) Having a number of people with a deep interest in a certain subject will ensure we keep each other honest and will also help us have common knowledge and understanding on the subject. I know I picked up a couple of extra references from Steve's article.

Originally posted by StevenPro
Steve,

Theronts Lifespan:
From Clorni & Burgess, 1997
"The theront's lifespan is less than 24 h for most isolates. Red Sea isolates may commonly survive 36 h and in a few cases, weak ciliary movements may be seen at up to 48 h."
I used 24 hours because even if they are still twitching, they can't infect any fish anymore. Perhaps I should have spelled that out.

That's what I was implying. I think it is good to show that there is differing results in the research. It would be even good to include some of the Yoshinaga and Dickerson (1994) findings that most (96.7%) theronts appeared to have lost infectivity after only 6 hours.

I know we like to be definitive in our writings and give a single number - but I prefer honesty and accuracy.

Excystment Timing:
Yoshinaga & Dickerson were not the only ones to witness this pattern. Burgess and Matthews, 1994 "Cryotocaryon irritans (Ciliophora): photoperiod and transmission in marine fish" Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 74: 445-453. is also referenced in Colorni & Burgess, 1997 as proof of excystment in the dark.

Unless I read it in the Burgess and Matthews paper, I would be wary. Far too many times I have read one paper state a claim from another paper only to read the second paper and find that the first paper took some liberties. It is also good to read and understand the methods they used to come up with their conclusions. I've added that paper to my list and will pick up a copy when next at the library.

Environmental Triggers:
I believe they are a more likely indicator of immune response. If all things are good, you will likely get a better immune response, and possibly not notice an infestation. I believe they definitely play a role, but you do need the parasite in the first place.

I agree that environmental factors will play a large part of the immune response of fish to "Ich". However, the third paragraph in your article very much toes the (erroneous) hobbyist line that stress causes "Ich". Stress only limits the ability of fish to recover from "Ich" but plays little or no part in becoming infected.

As with almost all immune responses, exposure to the pathogen (or antigen of the pathogen) is necessary in order to illicit an immune response and to develop an immunity. As Burgess and Matthews (1995) demonstrated, the fish must first be exposed to theronts before any immunity can be acquired. Stress does not play a part in that first exposure and fully healthy naive fish or highly stressed fish will be exposed and infected in exactly the same way.

TerryB said:
Steve,
You already know that I encouraged you in another thread here, but I hope you don't get the feeling that ATJ and I are picking at you. I enjoy getting into the details of this subject and there are not many people that I can discuss it with in any real depth. So when someone comes along that can hold this sort of conversation with me it is fun (maybe I am a nerd). I would be surprised if ATJ doesn't feel the same way. In reality, the attention you have received from ATJ and me is actually a form of compliment.
Take care,
Terry B
Ditto from me.

I think if the article had been crap, I probably wouldn't have wasted my time.

StevenPro said:
TerryB,
I have not taken offense or anything. I love to talk shop. My only regret is I did not have these discussions before the article came out. All in all though, I am still happy with it and glad it is out there and available.
Had I known the article was in the works, I would have gladly worked with your or at least reviewed the article before it was published. I am happy to review Part Two, if you want.

Most of my comments on the article as it stands are nits (other than the bit about stress and maybe the formalin dip ;)) and won't make much difference to the average aquarist's use of the information.

I have been called a pedant on many occassions, but I feel that accuracy is important - OK, I'm stating the obvious. I know that I am not always as accurate as I should be and I cringe when I go back later and read some of the crap I have written. That's why my Marine "Ich" article still has "DRAFT" plastered all over it as I need to go back, correct some items and add some further information.

ATJ said:
Ditto from me.

I think if the article had been crap, I probably wouldn't have wasted my time.

I literally laughed out loud at that. That is why I like answering questions in message boards, you can ignore whatever you wish.

ATJ said:
Excystment Timing:

Unless I read it in the Burgess and Matthews paper, I would be wary. Far too many times I have read one paper state a claim from another paper only to read the second paper and find that the first paper took some liberties. It is also good to read and understand the methods they used to come up with their conclusions. I've added that paper to my list and will pick up a copy when next at the library.
I picked up a copy of the "photoperiod and transmission" paper today - and I had trouble finding it because the reference in Colorni and Burgess (1997) had the complete wrong page range.

I find their experiments on both timing of the trophont exit and theront emergence to be lacking and do not provide a convincing case for dark induced periodicity.

For the periodicity of trophont release from the host, they had two samples of infected fish kept in a 12L:12D photoperiod (12 hours light, 12 hours dark). For the first sample (of 3 fish) the 12L:12D photoperiod was maintained for 137 hours post-exposure. In the second sample (5 fish), one of the dark phases was skipped so that the fish (and trophonts) were exposed to 36 hours of light between 66 and 101 hours post-exposure.

In the first sample, 98% of the trophonts were release between 78 and 89 hours post-exposure, with the remaining 2% being released 102 to 113 hours post-exposure, both occurring during the dark. In the second sample, 99% of the trophonts were released between 78 and 89 hours (in the light) and the remaining 1% between 102 and 113 hours post-exposure (during the next dark phase). The authors appear to ignore the fact that the release times were consistant, regardless of whether it was during the light or dark phase and instead conclude that the 1% in the second sample occuring in the dark "supporting" the photoperiodicity theory.

In my opinion, there was insufficient manipulation of the photoperiods to be able make any conclusion about the influence of light.

For the theront emergence experiment they performed no manipulation of the photoperiods and kept 12L:12D for all the test. While all excystment occurred during the dark phases, there is nothing in the experiment that supports that it was trigger was the dark and light phases.

I am not saying that I believe there isn't a relationship between darkness and trophont exit or darkness and excystment, but just that I don't believe either Yoshinaga and Dickerson (1994) or Burgess and Matthews (1994) present unambiguous evidence for a link.

ATJ,
You raise some interesting points. I, unfortunately, am still waiting on my copy through ILL. They are pathetically slow in the summer months. Now that I am thinking about it, could you give the correct page range? That maybe the reason ILL is taking so long.

Burgess P.J. and Matthews R.A. 1994. <i>Cryotocaryon irritans</i> (Ciliophora): photoperiod and transmission in marine fish. <i>Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom</i>.<b>74</b>:535-542.

If the journals aren't bound into volumes, it isn't even in the same issue. I ended up looking through all the issues for volume 74 but couldn't find it (I obviously didn't look carefully enough). It was only lucky I'd also copied a couple of Diggles and Lester papers, that also referenced it.

Hey guys,
If you want to critique some articles about fish disease then take a look at the September issue of Aquarium Fish Magazine (Sanjay Joshi) and Scott Micheals article in the 2004 annual addition of Aquarium USA. I flintched and pounded my head against the wall a few times when reading these two articles! LOL
Terry B

Are either article available online? I wouldn't see any hardcopy magazines in Oz for a month or two after they are published.

Steven Pro- Thanks for the Articles! ATJ thanks for the discussion!

I know this is an old post but I'm new here and there is ALOT of info on this site...maybe there is a better place to post this?

Can we discuss the following?

Temperature for life cycle of Ich: Data/experience on this? I believe cooler temps (72-75F) slow down/MAY inhibit some outbreak.
Conversely might warmer temps speed up the cycle? Ideas on how warm?
The idea would be to speed the parasite lifecycle to encourage free-swimming stages so can be exposed to treatments such as UV/O3?/hyposalinity.

Ozone Does anyone know of data for residual ozone levels that might help? Besides running a separate reaction area where water passes through a very high concentration of O3, is then degassed, and returned to main system (essentially like a UV filter) might it be possible to run "background" levels of O3 in the system that would inhibit the parasite during one or more part of its life cycle?

Hyposalinity What is the latest recommended ppt and duration?

The reason for trying to discuss these methods is that there is sometimes the case where the display system cannot be broken down, the fish cannot be caught and removed, and it cannot be copper treated. Hyposalinity may be effective but at what cost to live rock, macroalgae, etc.?

I would like to think there may be the possibility of running a hyposalinity treatment, controlling temperature to speed/slow ich life cycle and utilize UV, O3, and water changes to try control a massive outbreak, if not to cure it...

Thanks

I am having a bad outbreak of ich in my reef tank... I was told that i should try Garlic, Raise in Salinity to around 1.027, let temp raise to around 87-89 Degrees far., and then i was going to try some Melafix.... there isn't an option to get the fish out bc i have to much live rock and coral... What are your thought on this?

marine ich and velvet

marine ich and velvet

I have been talking to a guy in Australia and he swears by a product by
Poly Lab called Medic
it is used successfully in reef tanks to control and remove Ich,marine Velvet and other parasites
has anyone tried this product

Back