Mark's 150 gallon

Had time for a few top downs.

Calcium and Alk ran low again, fixed both yesterday.

kh 6.1
calcium 355
mg 1340

Took 410 ml of calcium to correct, added all at once. You can see most of the montis, except that damn purple cap, showing some skin loss or thin skin. Acros look pretty darn good though.

vhJtDdHh.jpg

m4SOTd1h.jpg

EZyz6Ulh.jpg

UPnZBUHh.jpg

7OWGnMTh.jpg

This is a neat picture. Made my brain hurt for a minute though. Was trying to figure out how the corals were growing sideways and why you took the picture upside down...

Do you know the name of the mint green acro in the middle? I really like that one.

Not exactly. That one was from Unique Corals named Wild Orchid. I don't think they sent me the right coral since this has never shown any purple at all. This was bought just before the tank crashed and somehow survived, so I didn't know until it recovered that it was the wrong coral.

Search for Wild orchid on the R 2 R forums and you'll find a picture of it.

I just chiseled a few corals off a rock I had brain corals growing into Acro's growing into a setosa into fruity pebbles, etc.. Poor planning on my part [emoji57] The pics look like your colonies are about to do battle? How often do you get the cutters out?

I took a afternoon to browse the post. Maybe the translation is not very good. I am sorry that my English is not good. I want to ask what is the last method of green cyano treatment.

I took a afternoon to browse the post. Maybe the translation is not very good. I am sorry that my English is not good. I want to ask what is the last method of green cyano treatment.

Just the age of the tank seemed to take care of it, and stirring the sandbed when it was happening. After a year or so it vanished. :) Unfortunately you have to wait a year.

I just chiseled a few corals off a rock I had brain corals growing into Acro's growing into a setosa into fruity pebbles, etc.. Poor planning on my part [emoji57] The pics look like your colonies are about to do battle? How often do you get the cutters out?

I rarely even trim, it's a big problem I have. I need to do a LOT of trimming or I will lose everything except the acros on top due to shading. Snip Snip.

I never chisel, or I haven't had to yet.

Just the age of the tank seemed to take care of it, and stirring the sandbed when it was happening. After a year or so it vanished. :) Unfortunately you have to wait a year.

My coral tank is very similar to your experience. It is also a cyanide outbreak that almost completely destroyed my sps (an incredibly beautiful color before death). I spent half a year stopping buying any corals and maintaining water quality.
But I feel that my water is not fat enough, the coral feels a bit bleached, feeding the size particles 3 times a day redsea a+b 4ml/2ml tm A+ K+ 2ml
The green algae of the rhizomes have no fish on my reef to forage.

Current water quality
No3<0.5
po4 <0.04
kh 7-8 (Consume 1 per day)
ca 400
mg ?

My coral tank is very similar to your experience. It is also a cyanide outbreak that almost completely destroyed my sps (an incredibly beautiful color before death). I spent half a year stopping buying any corals and maintaining water quality.
But I feel that my water is not fat enough, the coral feels a bit bleached, feeding the size particles 3 times a day redsea a+b 4ml/2ml tm A+ K+ 2ml
The green algae of the rhizomes have no fish on my reef to forage.

Current water quality
No3<0.5
po4 <0.04
kh 7-8 (Consume 1 per day)
ca 400
mg ?

Keep KH low, 7 to 8 is good but as stable as possible. Do you use GFO or Algae? If so then I suggest taking it out. You might consider skimming only part of the day, but I've never done it.

Keep KH low, 7 to 8 is good but as stable as possible. Do you use GFO or Algae? If so then I suggest taking it out. You might consider skimming only part of the day, but I've never done it.

I have all removed it.
Have you read the study of organic matter?

I have all removed it.
Have you read the study of organic matter?

Not sure, I've read a lot of studies but I don't remember one on organic matter.

I added an acro. I know! First new acro in a year, 25% Bayer dip for 15 minutes, 5 rinses, scraped with a scalpel and superglued part of the base I didn't like.

It's a Cali tort, I had one a long time back and have wanted another for a while. The slimer helped pay for this one. Another funky stag. :)
BTlDASKh.jpg

I'm also giving brownie another chance. This is a maricultured piece that I had trouble keeping alive. Saved two small frags, both settled in and grew rapidly but never colored up. I put the largest piece in the sump under a cheap LED and let it sulk down there for a year. I cut a frag of it and brought it back up. Can I color it up this time? I doubt it. lol
acFdfe1h.jpg

The larger frag of my beloved Lokani
5pv17Ghh.jpg

Katropora frags #2 and #3 under 100 to 125 PAR and while straggly still looking really good.
uxr74ish.jpg

If one is to have shrooms, these should be it. Finally reproducing.
aJTcU5vh.jpg

So when my calcium started to get too low this Acan (micromussa) suffered the most, losing all but half a head. I didn't do anything because, well, it's not an SPS. I suspect now this is a good one to watch for water quality issues as it started to die before my yellow and red acro showed any stress.
jXfaTDxh.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure, I've read a lot of studies but I don't remember one on organic matter.

I added an acro. I know! First new acro in a year, 25% Bayer dip for 15 minutes, 5 rinses, scraped with a scalpel and superglued part of the base I didn't like.

It's a Cali tort, I had one a long time back and have wanted another for a while. The slimer helped pay for this one. Another funky stag. :)
BTlDASKh.jpg

I'm also giving brownie another chance. This is a maricultured piece that I had trouble keeping alive. Saved two small frags, both settled in and grew rapidly but never colored up. I put the largest piece in the sump under a cheap LED and let it sulk down there for a year. I cut a frag of it and brought it back up. Can I color it up this time? I doubt it. lol
acFdfe1h.jpg

The larger frag of my beloved Lokani
5pv17Ghh.jpg

Katropora frags #2 and #3 under 100 to 125 PAR and while straggly still looking really good.
uxr74ish.jpg

If one is to have shrooms, these should be it. Finally reproducing.
aJTcU5vh.jpg

So when my calcium started to get too low this Acan (micromussa) suffered the most, losing all but half a head. I didn't do anything because, well, it's not an SPS. I suspect now this is a good one to watch for water quality issues as it started to die before my yellow and red acro showed any stress.
jXfaTDxh.jpg

The rumors between our aquarists, organic matter will affect the varieties of algae, red algae means that the organic matter is too low, green algae represents too much organic matter, I doubt

The rumors between our aquarists, organic matter will affect the varieties of algae, red algae means that the organic matter is too low, green algae represents too much organic matter, I doubt

That's interesting. My current thinking is that cyano is just a sign that the tank is missing something or something is out of balance. I had red cyano in my little 40 gallon for a year, then it vanished and hasn't returned. I haven;t changed anything, not even the water. I overfeed, have to deal with algae growing on the wall and the pumps, but no cyano anymore. :)

That's interesting. My current thinking is that cyano is just a sign that the tank is missing something or something is out of balance. I had red cyano in my little 40 gallon for a year, then it vanished and hasn't returned. I haven;t changed anything, not even the water. I overfeed, have to deal with algae growing on the wall and the pumps, but no cyano anymore. :)

This should be some rumors of the merchants that facilitate their marketing of chemical products. I think this is an imbalance, but the current solution is to change the feeding / stop feeding? Do not add any chemical products. I doubt if sps will starve?

This should be some rumors of the merchants that facilitate their marketing of chemical products. I think this is an imbalance, but the current solution is to change the feeding / stop feeding? Do not add any chemical products. I doubt if sps will starve?

I think SPS will starve, especially since cyano is typically a problem in newer tanks. As the tank ages all kinds of life populate it, including lots of sponges. These sponges sloth off over 50% of their weight every day into the water, if I remember correctly, which adds food bits the corals can eat.

I say just blow the cyano around and learn to tolerate it until it fades.

Back