Maroon Clown blindness?

El Langostino

I've had a very robust tank raised Gold Stripe Maroon Clown for over a month now. The fish has been eating and swimming in a perfectly normal fashion and maintains vibrant coloring...

However, all of this has suddenly changed as of two days ago. I was feding and all of my tank inhabitants had gathered in the middle of the tank just eating normally as they usually do. All of the sudden out of the corner of my eye I see the GSM furiously begin to spin around in blindingly fast circles. He did this about 6 or 7 times all in one second's time. Ever since he has been hovering and just sort of swimming around looking a bit clueless not straying far from one spot. when I feed he doesn't eat as much as he did and seems to be having trouble seeing the food.

I think he's gone or is going blind. Could this be and if so, how could this be? Any way to reverse this process? Just watching him, this really looks bad...

Another thing that makes me sure of his vision impairment is in that he is totally oblivious towards my false perc who he used to chase out of his territory. This chasing was never vicious and no biting ever occured, but now, nothing at all.

I have to go out of town for a week so I'm not sure this GSM is going to survive.

Hi El Langostino and hello to everybody on the board
spending my first 2 cents.

I recall an article in Austasia Aquaculture mag. where a clownfish breeder described his hatchery setup. He mentioned that at some time he could not control the upper temp limit. The consequence was the loss of his older broodstock females, after they got blind and stopped feeding. It is not clear to which species he was addressing, but my guess is Premnas, as they like it a little cooler around as opposed to their cousins (occs, percs, toma), species also produced by him. BTW this guy is out of biz now.

Did you experience a temp spike in your tank recently?

The article (6 pgs.) used to be free download, but now you have to reg and donate at:
http://www.austasiaaquaculture.com.au/article.php?newsID=7618

Matt

Well, I got back tonight, all fish are live and well, tank parameters fine.

Oddly enough, the Maroon seems to be more cognizant of where I am in relation to the outside of the tank as he is reacting to finger movements, opening the glass top, etc. Just based on all this, it definitely could have been a misdiagnosis on my part or perhaps he's just not totally blind. He also seems to be swimming around, using more areas of the tank as opposed to swimming in cirlces in one corner like last week.

All good signs, we'll see if it keeps up. Hopefully it will.

Back