Maturity Issues

Why would he say "don't put in the sand until after the rock has cured"? I would have thought the sand would provide an ideal place for the beneficial bacteria to start growing and help the curing process.

I also wonder about "maximum skimming"? Eric doesn't even use skimmers on most of his tanks, and for a long time didn't use them at all. As I understand it, he does now for convenience on his largest tank because of his travel schedule. And I would have thought he'd recommend water changes only to keep the ammonia level from becoming dangerously high?

???
John

WOW thank you for that article or VIP (very important post). I am a noob but with an extreme hunger for the knowledge of the hobby, not just a fascination with pretty fish.. My comment was merely this: Is there a 'reefing for dummies' book yet? If not, you guys should write one! I am really finding alot of the responsible and stablizing reef information from RC, and I am so glad to have found it. I posted some pics in my gallery, at the bottom are some of my tank. This is a great place to learn, along with some other sites that are info only. Thanks for all your experience lending, I know I really appreciate the sharing of your personal experiences and knowledge. Anyway a couple quick questions.. Im using Oceanic Natural Sea Salt for my water 100%, and I was wondering where that stands in the quality-o-meter... And another is how many corals are too many? My tank is running stable, about 6-7 months (now having the cyano bacteria bloom that you were referring to) but as many know with this hobby comes addiction, and the urge to buy more and add more, and I dont want to overload, but is there a such thing as too many corals? I have 1 scopas 2 clowns and 1 blenny, as far as fish go, and a list of corals, from mushrooms to zoas, leathers to star polyps. I have been looking for somewhere to tell me how many is too many but all I keep finding is how many fish to keep. I am also planning to get a 100+ gallon tank, but in the meantime I want this one to be healthy and continue to thrive. (2 X 250 w mh + 4 X 65w actinic)

WOW thank you for that article or VIP (very important post). I am a noob but with an extreme hunger for the knowledge of the hobby, not just a fascination with pretty fish.. My comment was merely this: Is there a 'reefing for dummies' book yet? If not, you guys should write one! I am really finding alot of the responsible and stablizing reef information from RC, and I am so glad to have found it. I posted some pics in my gallery, at the bottom are some of my tank. This is a great place to learn, along with some other sites that are info only. Thanks for all your experience lending, I know I really appreciate the sharing of your personal experiences and knowledge. Anyway a couple quick questions.. Im using Oceanic Natural Sea Salt for my water 100%, and I was wondering where that stands in the quality-o-meter... And another is how many corals are too many? My tank is running stable, about 6-7 months (now having the cyano bacteria bloom that you were referring to) but as many know with this hobby comes addiction, and the urge to buy more and add more, and I dont want to overload, but is there a such thing as too many corals? I have 1 scopas 2 clowns and 1 blenny, as far as fish go, and a list of corals, from mushrooms to zoas, leathers to star polyps. I have been looking for somewhere to tell me how many is too many but all I keep finding is how many fish to keep. I am also planning to get a 100+ gallon tank, but in the meantime I want this one to be healthy and continue to thrive. (2 X 250 w mh + 4 X 65w actinic)

Before delving on this one, a couple of comments:

>>I know Eric to be a promoter of letting the tank's "natural" flora and fauna proliferate for many months, and I agree that this is a very natural and safe approach. However, I think someone who has "been there" can modify these guidelines according to their experience. No, you can't rush quality - I agree that rushing things is not preferable. If I had the space and time, I would have waited longer than a month to put any animals in my tank. I guess what I'm saying is that experience can allow one to get away with some things . Then again, sometimes not. << ......

Hello Eric,

May I have your permission to reproduce your response to the tank maturity question in this thread?

I would like to post it on THE REEFUGE forums Australia to benefit others with this knowledge, if you agree.

Regards

Ian Gardener

Back