Maui

Go to Honolua Bay on West Maui just north of Kapalua and D.T. Flemming State Beach for diving/snorkeling. You are guaranteed NOT to be disappointed.

Go to Honolua Bay on West Maui just north of Kapalua and D.T. Flemming State Beach for diving/snorkeling. You are guaranteed NOT to be disappointed.

+1 for Honolua Bay. My wife and I snorkeled there during our vacation in April last year and it was awesome!

I just arrived at Maui for a week trip. Thanks for the video and the tip re: Honolua Bay. How is the aquarium here (saw it on the way in from the airport). Any other reefer-related activities to recommend. (My 4th trip to Maui, but my first since being inflicted with the reef bug).

If you have visited the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta, or the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, you will be very disappointed with Maui Ocean Center. It's a rather small facility with not a lot to see.

You might want to check out "snuba" if you're not a scuba diver. I think you can only go down to about 10 - 15 feet as they have an oxygen hose attached to your snorkel mask. Also, check out the snorkeling at these great snorkeling places: "Black Rock" in Kaanapali where the Sheraton hotel is located, Kapalua Bay right by the Ritz Carlton hotel with a small public parking lot leading directly to the bay, and "Mile Marker 14" roughly about 10 miles south of Lahaina.

Do not swim too close to "Black Rock" because quite a few people climb on it and jump off into the ocean. Also, the northern edge of Kapalua Bay is better than the center of it for snorkeling. Have fun!

"Black Rock", @ the Sheraton Kaanapali, is an excellent night/shore dive for pelagics coming in to the shallows/reef to feed

+1 on the black rock and also make sure if you can, do the submarine dive with the family (it was a great experience). Go visit the beach Jaws and make sure you eat at Big Mamas restaurant.

Black rock great, Honolua Bay great, Big Mommas great, Kapalua Bay great, Maui Ocean center ok, it's hard to have a bad time in Maui.

Andy

+1 on all of the above - especially the comment about having a bad time in Maui (leaving?). Haven't done Molokini yet, but absolutely love Honolua Bay, which is amazing.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about Hawai'i. Hell, my 90g FOWLR tank is entirely based around a Humuhumunukunukuapua'a!

Sheraton is where i stayed at last time and the wildlife is amazing there by the black rock +1

Famous Daves BBQ in lahaina, gotta have their famous sauces and ribs

All of the above! I miss Maui. Last time I was there I was offered a job on a snorkeling boat. That would be fun...

Here is a picture of some corals I saw in between the lava rocks.

Attachments

• corals.jpg
    corals.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 0
Back