MAXIJET Powerheads IMPORTANT

First impressions...

First impressions...

When I first obtained the SureFlow mods, I felt pretty much felt the same way as the OP. However, after receiving new impellers free from the manufacturer (some of the early ones were warped), they quieted down after a few days break-in. They are now as quiet as the original MJ1200. Because of the increased flow, I only need two powerheads in my 180G reef tank.

I have to agree with previous posts, the white impeller (only) is designed for the MJ1200. A black impeller will rattle. Three MJ1200s pushing 2100 gph each is overkill in a 75G tank.

I can see how the sandbed would become a sandstorm in that small a tank... but killing fish? I don't think so.

JMHO...

LL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911804#post12911804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmf507
Hard to get a "tone" from plain text. But....yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with my ability to describe a chromis. A healthy fish does not get sucked into a powerhead. Sorry you don't like the info.

Let's calm down a second and consider other possible explanations....Well, first your powerheads blew your sand all over your tank. How deep and old is your sandbed? Perhaps it kicked up a little bit too much and released gases. That WOULD weaken/kill a fish, that then MIGHT get stuck to a powerhead.

Okay, could there be anything else?

8 month old 3'deep sand...no bubbles or algae or gasses or any of that.

well, I must be one of the lucky ones. First I bought my Mod's at the fish expo in Costa Mesa a few months back, they cost me $9 each. 2nd - i had a MJ 900 and 1200 in my 75G. Far too much flow...far far far to much. Left only the 1200 in there and all is well. All the fish like it, the corals love it and my tank stays cleaner. Oh and quite too. They are not meant to be near the surface of the water, mine is about .25 way down.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12910826#post12910826 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jandree22
I will say I don't think anyone was out of line with their 'tone'. Remember that you came and posted, guns a blazin', with conspiracy theories about corupt business practices from the MJ mod vendors. First of all this is unfounded unless you have proof, 2nd of all, you have to realize that with that kind of initial attitude, yeah you'll get some kick back with differing opinions. Also, the maxi jet prop mod was not developed as some snake-oil solution by a sleazy vendor... it was a DIY by hobbyist from the start that vendors streamlined and made available to those not so mechanically inclined.

I didn't say it earlier but I agree with others that it's not a 'fault' to have a pump blow sand around... that's just a flippin powerful pump. Perhaps too much for your setup and taste, but it's doing exactly what it was meant to... being modified to move a crap load of water.

The korilia may be more elegant, but it's also more $$$. I don't want to spend $80 for elegant pumps when I can spend $40 for more powerful ones.

Sorry to rant, but grow up. You came and posted pretty obivously aware that you were going to spark some strong opinions, and you're offended when they emerge. :rolleye1:

I appreciate your account, but the majority of your 'issues' are conspiracy theories, unfounded, or matter of personal opinion.

stated my personal experience with these things...
also stated that you dont know and cannot know who posts those reviews.

you contradict yourself in your post a few times.

Not trying to sound rude, but I don't get the post -other then sharing your experience, which is good; but you clearly stated you read the reviews of the mod and then complained about the same problems that were stated from certain peoples set up. You were looking for a gentle larger flow, and you bought the opposite of that.

Sounds like you should be more upset with your purchase decision then the mod company.

I have made bad buying decisions, by not understanding what I needed and understanding what the product offered... I still do it a lot. I think you have done that also. If you want large gentle flow, Koralia is what you need, simple.

If I put a modded maxi in my tank, I would kill everything with a sandstorm.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912016#post12912016 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kimm
another question...were the chromis there before the addition to the mod's?

he said "i threw them in and overnight they died....i dont think you should have a problem like that with a powerhead."

coincidence...

that's my thought....if he added the MOD's then threw in some chromis...well come on then, those fish could have been stressed, sick or both.

also stated that you dont know and cannot know who posts those reviews.

You don't and cannot know who posts here either. So with that attitude you might as well just disregard what anyone says on the internet.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911944#post12911944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kimm
well, I must be one of the lucky ones. First I bought my Mod's at the fish expo in Costa Mesa a few months back, they cost me $9 each. 2nd - i had a MJ 900 and 1200 in my 75G. Far too much flow...far far far to much. Left only the 1200 in there and all is well. All the fish like it, the corals love it and my tank stays cleaner. Oh and quite too. They are not meant to be near the surface of the water, mine is about .25 way down.

very lucky then :)

and im glad to hear that

i wish i had been so lucky...i even paid more for them too.

apparently you got a better deal all around so yeah

Back